Im looking to rent an apt on a street where theres a block association involved....Contract's in process, however, the xtra fees legit?

Asked by britt o., New York, NY Tue Dec 18, 2012

I put $ towards deposit and now a day beforing signing lease, were surprised with these extra fees we have to write checks too such as a key deposit. What im most concerned about is a hefty sum to be written out to the block association. Is this a legit fee? Is it yearly? If legit, then is it tax deductible? Thanks for your help.

Answers

4
Joseph Hasti…, Agent, Bayside, NY
Tue Dec 18, 2012
Hello Britt. Yes, it seems like the landlord is pro-rating Decembers rent. We look at a months rent based on 30 days. they may charge you a lesser amount based on the day you start your tenancy. The trick there is that you might not be ready to move in yet so, you pay for time not used.

I'm not sure about this block association fee? What do they provide? How is it they (blk assoc) can charge a fee for you renting a private persons unit? I would be careful about that but I don't know where you are talking about specifically. more info please...

Key deposits are not uncommon so don't be concerned there. Just make sure that fee is refundable when you move out and get copies of everything especially your lease. There should be two original copies of the lease. One for the owner and one for your records. Pay by bank check for your first month rent and a separate bank check for the security. Pay deposits by check so you can have a record of payment. Get receipts for everything. Get back to me on the block assoc fee. If I can be of further help, feel free to contact me directly. Good luck.
jmincheff, , New York, NY
Tue Dec 18, 2012
Every purchase can differ. Ask your lawyer the specific rules that govern here. All the expenses whould have been disclosed to you.
jmincheff, , New York, NY
Tue Dec 18, 2012
Eash purchase is different. Ask your lawyer to find out the rules on this purchase.
britt o., Renter, New York, NY
Tue Dec 18, 2012
I ask because instead of jan1 they asked me to bump up lease start to mid dec, which i thought was fine...just starts early, but i suspect the extra hefty fee is for the rest of dec, thus putting down 1.5 months rent, which of course i dont like. but its written out to the association. so if someone can help me clarify my suspicions, id appreciate it.