If I rent a townhouse my mother owns, does the NJ Truth in Renting Act apply, since it is not a multi-family? Appreciate replies from NJ brokers.

Asked by Mickey - R.E. Investor, Middletown, NJ Fri Oct 21, 2011

My mother owns, but no longer uses a Holmdel townhouse since she moved to the Carolinas and we'd like to rent it. Does the New Jersey Truth in Renting Act apply to us? It says it applies to tenants "living in residences with more than two dwelling units". Since this is a NJ question, I would appreciate replies only from NJ brokers. I always see people commenting from out of state and wonder how many times their state's rules differs from the one they are commenting on! Thanks!

Answers

3
Susan McLaug…, Agent, Shrewsbury, NJ
Fri Oct 21, 2011
If you are renting out a single unit, whether it is a detached single family home or or an individually owned townhouse style residence, you do not fall into the multi-unit dwelling category. The Truth in Renting Act applies to tenants "living in residences with more than two dwelling units (or more than three if the landlord occupies one)."

Here is the New Jersey Truth in Renting Act brochure. You'll find it on Page 1. http://www.nj.gov/dca/divisions/codes/publications/pdf_lti/t…

Hope this helps. If would like us to introduce you to a qualified tenant, just give me a call.
Mickey - R.E.…, Home Buyer, Middletown, NJ
Fri Oct 21, 2011
I meant we want to rent it out, not that I am renting it from my mother. Thanks.
Joan Braunsc…, , Morris County, NJ
Fri Oct 21, 2011
Interesting question.

Technically, the Truth in Renting Act applies to all rentals in NJ, as far as I know. However, since the Act is for the purpose of spelling out both tenant and landlord rights and responsibilities, I would think that you and your mom should be able to come to your own agreement without worrying about whether or not all things that are spelled out in the act are satisfied, if you feel comfortable doing so.

That being said, there would be no harm in reading over a copy of the pamphlet and knowing that you have been informed as the law states you should be.