If I do not have any credit but am working on it. Is it still possible to rent?

Asked by Brittany_real, Phoenix, AZ Fri Nov 11, 2011

Answers

13
Matthew Desa…, Agent, Phoenix, AZ
Thu Feb 28, 2013
Landlords and Property Managers take many things into account when deciding whether to approve or deny an applicant. Credit scoring is one of the most prominent factors. Generally, many landlords will work with individuals who do not yet have established credit. However, they are undoubtedly going to want to see job stability and 2-3 Times the Rent Amount in Monthly Income. If you have a prior landlord that you may have rented from they could also be used as a reference. When applicants have limited credit history, an immediate red flag is any balance owed to another apartment community or an eviction. These are both things that can appear in a consumer report.

I recommend pulling and reviewing your credit history, even if it is limited, prior to applying for an apartment. That way, if there is any negative entry you can either work to resolve it or prepare an explanation to your potential landlord.

Best of luck on your rental search :)

Matthew Desaulniers
REALTOR
Direct: 602-845-9440
http://www.phoenixfirstlookhomes.com
Susan Job, Agent, Mesa, AZ
Sun Feb 24, 2013
Usually no credit is not a problem. Bad credit is what would prevent you from renting or buying a home. Many young people have no credit but can purchase or rent property.
Get-smart, , Durham, NC
Sun Feb 24, 2013
If you don't have any credit then it might be best to go directly through a buyer since they have less red tape to jump through. Go to Craigslist to see what you can find.

http://www.charlottesbargainhouses.com
Investor X, , Gilbert, AZ
Sat Nov 12, 2011
Searching to rent? =Answer.. Craigslist
Sean Heideman, Agent, Phoenix, AZ
Sat Nov 12, 2011
Hi Brittany,

If you don't have credit, then now is the perfect time to start establishing your credit. Most landlords these days understand that people have poor credit so they are more flexible than before. Just explain to them that you have never had a credit card or applied for a loan; therefore, this is why you don't have a credit score.

Once you establish a credit score, then you can also try to purchase a home with seller financing instead of renting. Today a mortgage payment is less expensive than a lease payment. When you have established some credit, then please contact me if you are interested in purchasing a home with seller financing.

Sean Heideman, Realtor
ZipRealty, Inc.
Office: 480-213-5251
Stan Abraham…, Agent, Peoria, AZ
Fri Nov 11, 2011
Hi Brittany,

Here are a few things a landlord will look at:

1. Your monthly income, ie. your ability to meet the rental obligation.

2. Verification of your current employment.

3. They might call the last place you rented.

Most landlords know that if you had good credit you would be probably buying a home not leasing. I hope this helps & I do have a 2 bedroom rental for $675 if you are interested. Best of luck.
Kimberli Bak…, , 85283
Fri Nov 11, 2011
Brittany, there are many landlords today who look at factors other than credit. So many people have lost their homes to foreclosure and now need to rent that credit scores are becoming less significant. Many landlords will contact your employment references and usually some personal references, and run a background check to verify that you have not committed any criminal acts related to rental properties. You need to seek out individual landlords rather than property management companies, as they are much more likely to work with you. I know they're out there because I represent a number of property owners that no longer base their tenant decisions on credit.

Good luck in your search! I have included a web link to a blog that I write for, that advised investors/landlords to adopt exactly the approach I have spelled out for you here.
Raoul Lousta…, Agent, glendale, AZ
Fri Nov 11, 2011
Hello Britany you should talk also to a lender you might be able to buy for wha tyou can rent
Nick Salem, Agent, Phoenix, AZ
Fri Nov 11, 2011
I've helped a lot of renters lately and I can tell you that Credit isn't even that big a deal anymore. Landlords look for 2 out of 3 things in a potential tenant.

The first and most important is income. They need to know that the combined income is enough. When I say enough, I mean 3 times the rent.

The second is rental history. If you have good rental standing, then this is even more important than the third thing which is the credit report.

The credit report is not as important these days because, well, everybody has bad credit. With all the foreclosures these days, you really can't ask for too much.

I hope this helps.

Please don't hesitate to contact me, I'd love to help you.
You can text or call me at (480) 232-3057
Of course email works too: Nick.Salem@Century21.com
Matt Puzz, , Mesa, AZ
Fri Nov 11, 2011
Have you had anyone check your credit. The free online credit information does not always paint the picture. You may also want to check with the people you are intending to rent from to see if they accept non traditional credit; auto insurance payments, cell phone bills, untility bills in your name, etc. Check with them, good luck.

Matt Puzz
Licensed Loan Originator
Amerifirst Financial, Inc.
602-410-9333
Web Reference:  http://www.mattpuzz.com
Debora Nicho…, Agent, Phoenix, AZ
Fri Nov 11, 2011
Yes it is possible to rent. There are a number of things that go into a landlord making a decision. If you truly have NO credit, they may ask for proof that you have been making monthly payments like utilities or student loans or ask for a larger deposit. Each landlord and situation is different. Good Luck
C Michael Cr…, , Phoenix, AZ
Fri Nov 11, 2011
Absolutely ! Call me for your options...Mike Crowley, Prestige Realty 480-720-8123
Michelle Moz…, Agent, Santa Rosa, CA
Fri Nov 11, 2011
Of course.

Please call me anytime.

Always in your service,

Michelle Renée Mozell
PO Box 897
Bodega Bay, California 94923
602 292-0753 Cell
480 452-0640 eFax
mmozell@cox.net

HomeSmart, Associate Broker
20860 North Tatum Blvd.
Suite 140
Phoenix, Arizona 85050
480 443-7400 HS Office
480 664-4357 HS Fax

Realtor®, Sonoma Coast Living
DRE License 01879859
575 Highway One
Bodega Bay, California 94923
707 875-2500 SCL Office
707 875-3242 SCL Fax