I negotiated and obtained a rental for a client, she then told me she had seen it with another agent but preferred me. Do I owe that agent anything?

Asked by Shana77, 33317 Sat Mar 3, 2012

The customer said she didn't feel the other agent was going to get them the best price or terms. Now that the deal is done, the other agent has contacted me to say that there is a conflict of interest because she showed them the house that they ended up getting. They didn't have a contract with her and they told her that they were also working with me. She took a chance in showing them listings, as did I. Do I owe her any of the commission?

Answers

7
Ray And Karen Levy’s answer
Ray And Karen…, Agent, Mount Dora, FL
Sun Mar 4, 2012
Hi Shana!

I do not believe you owe any comission.

You may want to give her a call just to let her know what happened.

Customers change their mind all the time, it's just the nature of the business.

You may have to work with this agent in the future and need his/her help.

What would you want if it was you?

Good Luck in your business!

Very Best Regards,
Ray Levy - Coldwell Banker Camelot Realty - Mount Dora, FL
352-978-8551
Danny Vargo, Agent, Miami, FL
Thu Jan 17, 2013
You aren't facing any ethics violation. That's nonsense. You did not act with any prior knowledge of an agent conflict or your client's prior relationship with another agent since you found out after the deal was done.
Irina Karan, Agent, Aventura, FL
Tue Jan 8, 2013
This is different from state to state.
In Florida, you are fine and don't have to share.
But of course, your broker should be informed of the situation.

Hope this helps,

Irina Karan
Beachfront Realty, Inc.
IrinaKaran@gmail.com
Karen Bass-g…, Agent, Davie, FL
Wed Dec 12, 2012
You dont owe the agent anything whether you are the listing agent or not. Clients and Realtors develop a relationship and it sounds like you have developed that with the client. If you are the procuring cause for the rental going through, there is no need to share.
Alma Kee, Agent, Tampa, FL
Sat Nov 10, 2012
Just realized you are talking about a "rental" commission. The amount offered can be so small that most Realtors cannot donate their time and spend gas money on showing rentals! Especially in Tampa Bay where some agents only share $100 to an agent that brings a tenant. My firm will not allow a rental listing to go on the MLS without offering at least $200 but other firms will allow it to be as little as $50!
Sonia Gaby M…, Agent, Davie, FL
Sat Nov 10, 2012
You don't own anything to the other agent.

Good job :-)

Gaby
Alma Kee, Agent, Tampa, FL
Sun Mar 4, 2012
If you are the listing agent then you absolutely should compensate that Realtor.