I need to no why the house on N Lake Dr is a scam

Asked by Victoria Duke, Brick, NJ Thu Jan 10, 2013

Answers

8
John and Ell…, Home Owner, Bayville, NJ
Sun Aug 18, 2013
Last year my house was on the market and I couldn't figure out why people were knocking on my door asking me if my house was for rent when it was clear a for sale sign was on my front lawn, It wasn't until my realtor called me two days later and told me that my listing had been hijacked, pictiures and my address and placed on craigs list for $800 a month. She said that a man out of the Country was asking for a deposit to secure the rental.

I have no idea if anyone fell for this scam or not, my hope is the didn't.

My house did not sell and I did not re-sign with this realtor :)
Ronald Shaff…, Agent, Toms River, NJ
Sat Jul 13, 2013
Good job on keeping everyone posted. Hopefully the community will help prevent folks from losing their money.
sizzlnac, Renter, Brick, NJ
Fri Jul 12, 2013
I DIDNT SEND HIM ANYTHING IM SMARTER THAN THAT. I SPOKE TO HIM ON PHONE AND HE HUNG UP ON ME. I GUESS HE DIDNT LIKE ME TELLING HIM ABOUT SCAMMERS.
sizzlnac, Renter, Brick, NJ
Fri Jul 12, 2013
116 POLK DR IN BRICK IS A SCAM THE SOCALLED OWNER SAYS HE LIVES IN TEXAS WANT S YOU TO SEND HIM MONEY AND HE WILL SEND YOU KEYS. IF IT SOUNDS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT IS WATCHOUT FOR THE NAME JOHN LAMPMAN.
Dawn White, Agent, Brick, NJ
Thu Jan 10, 2013
Never ever give someone money, without checking out who your giving it to. It is always safer to use a Realtor or established rental agency.......Or if you really want to do it on your own, complete as much due diligence as possible, check out the ocean or monmouth county clerks web-site confirm the owners name on the property. Tax records are public information. If the owner does not ask you for a rental application, references or credit check something is suspect.
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Thu Jan 10, 2013
Terrible stuff. I ran into a scam where the listing was high-jacked from Craigs List but have not had the same issue here on Trulia.

Good to stay vigilant.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
Ronald Shaff…, Agent, Toms River, NJ
Thu Jan 10, 2013
The house was listed for sale for $244,500 , NOT for rent, the scammer took the agents pictures and posted as a rental. He will try to collect a deposit from a renter and then they will never hear back from him again. Sometimes they even break into the house to meet inside.
Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Thu Jan 10, 2013
Why do scammers do anything? To get your money.