Rentals in Chicago>Question Details

Ajac9999, Renter in Chicago, IL

I need to know the average cost for heating and electric on a 750 sq. ft. 2 bdrm. apartment. I'm doing research for a school project. Please help!

Asked by Ajac9999, Chicago, IL Sun Dec 2, 2012

1 vote Share Flag Rentals in Chicago

Philip Sencer’s answer
There are not very many 2 bedroom units that are just 750sf. That is small and the cost can vary from a high rise building to a vintage to a loft. Does the occupant work from home? Is there a child in the unit or an elderly person? If the building newer construction or older than 30yrs??
Ball park 40 for electric and 50 gas.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 3, 2012
It may be a bout $30 each.
Great question regarding your heating and electric for a 750 sq. ft. apartment. It depends on how old the unit is, if you have energy efficient appliances, windows, insulation, etc. Some of the new heating units use floor heat or radiant heat. I've heard that they are pretty energy efficient. Have you asked the landlord what the typical utility costs are?
That really depends on several factors. First, it depends on the electricity rate where you live. Second, it depends on how energy efficient the apartment is. Third, it depends on the habits of the tenants.
I'm not sure how much it would cost. I would call a company to come and help figure out a price. They should be able to help you with any other questions or concerns you have!
Flag Mon Jan 12, 2015
It would be tough to say. Depends on the type; loft, age of construction,etc.

I think on average you can assume you would pay from 50-90 a month.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 2, 2012

There is no simple answer to your questions. Heating cost are dependent upon many variables.... including the cost per BTU, delivery charge for your utility and eve the particular home's insulation, the energy rating of its heating unit, etc. As you can see, there are many factors that can affect cost. In Chicago, if you want to know the average cost of a particular property you simply need to ask Peoples Gas for a disclosure. the form for the request can be obtained online.

Here's a link to People's Gas rates:…

Hope this gives you a start on your project. Good luck!

Rusty A. Payton, Broker
iMove Chicago
1225 W Morse
Chicago, Illinois 60626

773-856-6200 [Office]
773-856-6201 [Fax]
773-682-5210 [Mobile]

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 2, 2012
average cost is probably 75 a month for everything
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 2, 2012