I'm not seeing much in this area that will accommodate pets (one cat). Is that usual?

Asked by Deborah Krueger, Asheville, NC Sat Feb 15, 2014

Answers

6
Joseph Hasti…, Agent, Bayside, NY
Sun Feb 16, 2014
Hi Deborah. I must agree with Ms. Brocco. At the very least, it's not unusual. It's going to be somewhat difficult to find a pet friendy rental as many buildings don't allow them. This may be particularly true of buildings managed by a management company as opposed to a smaller owner who may own just one or two buildings.

I suggest you contact a broker in the area you have interest in living. They may know an owner that would break their own no pet policy for a cat instead of a dog. Dogs bark while cats scurry under the bed when they hear noise. Good luck.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sat Feb 15, 2014
Generally most landlords do not allow pets, therefore not unusal....
dploves2sell…, Agent, Woodbury, NY
Thu Jun 18, 2015
Many Landlords will not accept pets due to the fact of what kind of damages can be caused by them.
Some of the cleaning/repairs can be costly.

Some Landlords may however allow a pet, if they meet with the pet or if additional money is provided from the tenant to cover any necessary repairs.

There is no guarantee, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Donald Lacey, Agent, New York, NY
Tue Jul 1, 2014
It's very common. Landlords don't to spend money on a cleaning service when pets pee and destroy the floors with urine. It's very difficult to get rid of the smell. I've seen apartments stay on the market for over a year because of a bad urine odor. They sometimes have to replace the floors and that can be thousands of dollars. It's cheaper and less headaches for them to just ban pets. Also, many people don't clean up after their pets in this area and that has become a nuisance. It's a raw fact that pet friendly buildings are disappearing or be faced with a monthly pet fee and or a $75-1000 pet deposit. I live in this area and I've been renting apartments as an agent here for the past 4 years so I can speak from a wealth of experience and knowledge. Feel free to contact me for some specific options.
Christopher…, Agent, Tarrytown, NY
Sun Feb 16, 2014
Hi, It's definitely not unusual but I find cats are more acceptable then dogs. Every landlord is different and you may be able to put down a little extra security in order to get the pet accepted. Have your agent check into any properties that you have interest.

Chris
Jeannette Ba…, Agent, Brooklyn, NY
Sat Feb 15, 2014
Most of my landlords accepts pets and I've been an active agent since 1998.... Keep looking don't give up... I wish I could help... All the best! Jeannette Batsikas