I'm looking for a house with a rent to own option in or around leominster mass. I've dealt with a lot of scams or websites that just want

Asked by Raychelmay6883, Gardner, MA Tue Apr 9, 2013

my money.

Answers

3
Donna Hohman, Agent, Boylston, MA
Thu Apr 11, 2013
Raychel.

I have so many clients who are in the same boat as you. Craig's list seems to be a site where we see alot of these. Many indications for ones I've seen say pets allowed "cats meow" and "dogs bow wow".

As for rent to own, I always tell my clients never to give money to anyone without a contract and verification of property ownership. Often these scammers try to represent themselves as the owner, so knowing who is on the public record is critical.

My best recommendation is to use a licensed realtor (and I don't say that just because I am one). Working with a professional helps to keep you and your family safe from theft and also the risk of being physically in danger.

Best of luck.....Feel free to call if you need any assistance or have further questions.

Donna Hohman
Coldwell Banker
508-733-9954
Barbara Van…, Agent, Shrewsbury, MA
Wed Apr 10, 2013
Raychel,

Cassandra is right. Be careful! I had a couple who paid several thousand dollars in advance to an online company in Florida that promised to find them a "rent to own" house here in MA. Needless to say, they never got a home. I suggested they call our Attorney General's office for help. Unfortunately, because it was an out of state company, there was nothing they could do. The company has changed its name. Please learn from their costly mistake. Never pay in advance for someone to find you a home.

There are some legitimate rent to own options from local investors or landlords. They are hard to find. Sometimes they will be listed on MLS. There is currently one listed in Athol. I can give more information on it.

You can start by joining a local investor group. Most investors that rent to own do so knowing that the tenant will probably never be able to buy the property due to credit problems or finances. Again, buyer beware. Hire an attorney to review your contract.

Barbara Van Slett
Cassandra M.…, Agent, Canton, GA
Tue Apr 9, 2013
Be careful of some of these "investors". Sometimes it is easier to rent until you are truly in a position to buy and have the money saved up. This also gives you more options in selections, price and a more powerful negotiating position.

However, there are some reputable investors willing to rent to own. Just be sure to familiarize your self with the contract and make sure there are no penalties if you do not close.

Good Luck,

~Cassandra Bickel, REALTOR