I'm hoping for help, despite being on LTD & bad credit, in finding a $600ish 1 BR apartment in safe walkable area for asap relocation to

Asked by Melly, 22980 Wed Nov 2, 2011

I receive $2,167 monthly in LTD pay, which I've been on 4 yrs now due to RA (w/documentation stating it's permanent). My credit has been completely destroyed though - especially because of living in an $1,900 per month apartment in NoVA when I first got sick, as well being further affected by delays in approvals, medical bills etc.. Most recently, I've been living near family (400 rent) while getting it under better control. Now that I'm doing better, I'm excited about Richmond being the perfect place for me to rebuild a life for myself, tho I do wish I also
had the time (at this rent rate) to work on my credit before relocating, but where I am currently is no longer
available anyway. BTW, I have done quite a bit of research now, so I do have an idea of what I want and can
afford, but I think I really need some professional help, due to not knowing the area well enough and having a small dog but esp. due to my poor credit and time constraints. Thanks, Melanie

Answers

5
Melly, Renter, 22980
Wed Nov 2, 2011
Oops! My apologies for the horrible formatting in my previous post - really not exactly sure what happened... :-(
Thanks again though, Melanie
Melly, Renter, 22980
Wed Nov 2, 2011
Wow! Thanks for the speedy responses! I've actually been very nervous about approaching any realtors because of my embarrassment over my bad credit and fear that LTD being a possible
deterrent as well, which is why i have
so far only dealt with listings through private landlords. But, to date anyway,
I've just not run across enough in that
category to give much of a choice (although I've had a couple I've met
who were comfortable with accepting
me - if only I had really liked those
places). So its really nice to have run
across this active forum, with it's responsive and nonjudgemental members, so as to be able to pose these kind of issues with some degree of anonymity before taking the next
step. In response to the 3rd way, there is no way ever that I would be able to
get a cosigner, by the way. I could get
a good letter of reference from my
landlord of the past few years. And
while I did have have late payments at
my previous apartment complex in
Arlington, VA where I lived the previous 5 plus years, I did manage to at least make it to the end of my lease there without a judgement or eviction. As far as a security deposit goes, it
would make the world of difference to
me to find a situation with a lower deposit (like the specials I see, that I believe are aimed at people with good,
if not stellar, credit). Barring that possibility, finding someone who might
be willing to work with me on
spreading the deposit out over a
couple months would also be ideal. I
do realize that neither of these options might apply to me due to my credit of
course. And in the event that I do need
to come up with a full months security
deposit (or more if that might be the case) I do realize that it could certainly have have a serious effect on what I could end up affording in the long run unfortunately. Also, I don't if anyone here might be familiar with any of these fee based Apartment Locator services, or comfortable in providing
any insight and/or feedback regarding
them. They seem to advertise quite a
few places that sometimes seem just a
little too good to be true, with many of them not even requiring a credit check
of any kind, and just as often, low to
no security deposits - as well as a
money back guarantee if you don't find a place within 90 days. I guess, to
sum up here, let me just say enthusiastically that any responses
already received here are indeed very much appreciated, as well any more to come. And I will certainly be getting in
touch and accepting these offers of help shortly. Thanks, Melanie
T S, Agent, Richmond, VA
Wed Nov 2, 2011
Hi Melanie,

Are you able to get a co-signer (someone to sign a statement to vouch to pay for you)? This would help you tremendously. You have the income just need to overcome the credit.

We have one for rent now near VCU which is $625. Be prepared to pay a security deposit for any rental, we charge 1 month's rent for a deposit as an example.

It's great you ask for guidance now versus seeing properties and possibly loving something you love!
Elizabeth We…, Agent, Richmond, VA
Wed Nov 2, 2011
Melanie
Feel free to email or call me - I've lived my entire life in the Richmond area and can help you find your new home.
Bill Coffey, Agent, Midlothian, VA
Wed Nov 2, 2011
Hi Melanie!

I will help you if I can. What kind of professional help were you looking for? You can email me at BillCoffeyVa@gmail.com, or call me at (804) 852-7195. Thanks!