I live in Downers Grove since August. My landlord notified me they must tear out my bathroom for at least 3 weeks. Can this be a lease breaker?

Asked by John Krull, Downers Grove, IL Sun Jan 20, 2013

Answers

7
Bill J Delig…, Agent, Naperville, IL
Mon Jan 21, 2013
They will work on the bathroom for 3 weeks:
Will you be able to use it during this time?
Is there another bathroom in the home for you to use?
What times will they be working on the bathroom?

Look over the lease to see if you can break the lease or ask for a reduction in rent for the inconvenience factor.
Manuel Brown, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Jan 21, 2013
John,

Wow what an inconvenience! Definitely read through your lease and contact the city of Downers Grove House Department. Some one in the housing department maybe able to answer the question to what your rights are. If they are unable to than contact an attorney that specializes in house. Here is something I Googled http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/firm/landlord-tenant/downe…

Also, do you have renters insurance? Renters insurance may cover this depending on your policy and put you up in a hotel.

Best of luck
Philip Sencer, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Jan 21, 2013
It can, but read the lease or have an attorney read it or speak with the city of Downers Grove to ask about it.
John Krull, Renter, Downers Grove, IL
Sun Jan 20, 2013
They are stating they are working on it and offer an open apartment for three "bachelors" to share.
David Hanna, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sun Jan 20, 2013
You need to read your lease carefully, and if you are uncertain about the language, consult a real estate attorney. If you misinterpret the lease and make a mistake, it could be costly.
Your best bet is to try and have a rational discussion with the landlord about how you are supposed to live in the unit under these conditions, and see if it can be resolved without going to the next level.
Matt Laricy, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sun Jan 20, 2013
If its unfit conditions and you can prove it, then yes.
Thomas Kossn…, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sun Jan 20, 2013
I don't think so. The landlord IS working on it. If it were out of order for 3 weeks due to his Not repairing it, that would give you Constructive Eviction rights to break the lease. I think that's what its called. 3 weeks seems like an awfully long time however. But you should always seek the advice of a real estate attorney or contact a real estate board for direction.