I have been renting a home in PA for at least 8 yrs. My new landlord of 1 yr wants me to sign a lease. There never was a lease agreement .

Asked by Opaline, 17049 Wed Apr 27, 2011

Am I obligated to sign this lease?

Answers

2
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Wed Apr 27, 2011
I don't know the laws of Pennsylvania--for that you'd need a lawyer. However, in some areas you'd be considered in a month-to-month arrangement. If that's the case, either you or (more significantly) the landlord could terminate the arrangement on 30 days notice. Bluntly: The landlord might tell you that you have to move in 30 days.

As I say, the laws vary by jurisidiction. But it's unlikely (heck, it's impossible) that you could just stay in the house, keep paying your rent every month, and ignore the landlord's request that you sign a lease.

If there had previously been a lease agreement, the new landlord would have been obligated to observe the terms and conditions of the existing lease. But since there wasn't a lease agreement, there's no previous lease he has to obey. And it's certainly within his rights to ask you to sign a lease.

Check with a lawyer. But if the landlord wants you to sign a lease and you decline to do so, it's very likely that the landlord can require you to move.

Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Wed Apr 27, 2011
Your new landlord can ask you to sign a lease; if you would like to remain and the lease is agreeable to you, consider signing--for any legal advice needed consult with an attorney.