I have a house in the bay area that I rented to my friends and there is no lease. If I want them to move do I need to give a 60 day written notice

Asked by Giga Man, South San Francisco, CA Sun Feb 9, 2014

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Gregory Gria…, Agent, San Mateo, CA
Mon Feb 10, 2014
Hello Giga Man, While the previous answer may be correct, I'm providing a link to the "Moving Out" page of the CA Dept. of Consumer Affairs. Your question and others can be answered there. Good luck. Link below:

1 vote
Elena Talis, Broker, Palo Alto, CA
Mon Feb 10, 2014
If your tenants lived in the house less than a year you can give them a 30 day notice. If they rented from you for more than a year then you need to give them a 60 day notice. I would recommend you to do it in writing to comply with real estate laws.
Web Reference:  http://talisrealestate.com
1 vote
Lee Ginsburg, Agent, San Bruno, CA
Mon Feb 10, 2014
Yes a 60 day notice if they have lived there for more than 1 year. That is the case in most bay area cities. San Francisco and others rent control cities have other landlord obligations. Having a lease or no lease really does not affect the situation once they move in.
0 votes
Juliana Lee, Agent, Palo Alto, CA
Mon Feb 10, 2014
You want to be as professional as possible to avoid any hard feelings. Yes, give them a polite written notice. Giving them more than the minimum days may be appreciated. If your rental agreement is for more than one year it should be in writing (pg 16 http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/catenant.pdf). You are probably required to give a written 30 day notice (60 days if occupied for over 1 year, rent control ordinances can be more restrictive). http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/moving-out.s… ... Juliana Lee Top 2 agent nationwide at Keller Williams Realty, the nations largest Cell 650.857.1000 juliana@silicon-valley-homes-for-sale.com Over 20 years experience Over 1,000 homes sold in Santa Clara County and San Mateo County .
Web Reference:  http://julianalee.com
0 votes
Terry McCarl…, Agent, Cape Coral, FL
Mon Feb 10, 2014
Laws vary from state to state regarding tenants rights. I would recommend you contact a local real estate attorney to make sure you handle this situation correctly according to the laws of CA.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more