I have a friend who was offered a job in Dallas and she is excited about moving. She found out last week that someone has stolen her identify and her

Asked by Charlotte Green, Dallas, TX Thu Jun 23, 2011

credit won't allow her to rent an apartment.What can I tell her to do?

Answers

2
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Thu Jun 23, 2011
Does you friend have proof regarding her stolen identity....
Michael Emery, , Minneapolis, MN
Thu Jun 23, 2011
Your credit reports are drawn from three different credit reporting bureaus. To get incorrect information removed from their files, your friend will have to get a copy of their credit report from each bureau and begin the task of disputing any fraudulent charges against her accounts. By law she is entitled to one free report per year from each bureau. From here she can begin to repair her credit.

As to what she can do in the mean time, I think she will have to negotiate with the rental companies on a case by case basis. But she will need proof that her credit was stolen. Otherwise they're going to go by the word of the credit bureaus. See the link that provides links to the three credit bureaus.