I found out that there is an eviction on my credit report. How can I still rent a house?

Asked by Richard Vega, Riverside, CA Fri Apr 26, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Kawain Payne, Agent, Seal Beach, CA
Mon May 20, 2013
Hello Richard,

You can offer to pay several months rent in advance, or pay an increased security deposit.

That being said, have established a good rental record since the eviction? If so, and the eviction was do to a hardship, for example a job loss, or illness that rendered you unable to work.

In cases of a confirmed hardship some landlords may give you a break.

Best f Luck to you!

Kawain Payne, Realtor
Prudential California Realty
0 votes
Mary Ann Mal…, Agent, Riverside, CA
Tue May 14, 2013
It depends on the circumstances surrounding the eviction.
0 votes
christine ka…, Agent, Temecula, CA
Mon Apr 29, 2013
You may be able to rent a house, but you will have to pay a huge security deposit.
If there is any way to pay back the prior landlord for anything owed, so he can give you a reference, I would do so immediately. All landlords should run your credit before renting to you, so they will know about it. You can be honest and let them know the situation up front, For Example: if you had a period of hardship, but working with the landlord who put it on your credit to begin with so he can give you a good reference is key.
As a landlord myself, I would not rent to someone I thought didn't at least try to fix the situation.
Good luck to you!
0 votes
Ray Wright, Agent, Riverside, CA
Sat Apr 27, 2013
I concur with the answers below but I am curious. You "found out there is an eviction" on your credit report? As in, you didn't know you were evicted? Eviction is not a good thing and should be avoided as much as possible. It's a hard lesson you're learning. Good luck.
0 votes
John Bender, Agent, Corona, CA
Sat Apr 27, 2013
Just be prepared to pay MAX security deposit.
0 votes
Ray Ortega, Agent, Riverside, CA
Fri Apr 26, 2013
First, is it yours? If not dispute it with the credit bureaus . If it is yours get as much documentation proving that you no longer have hardship. You need a very strong letter of of explanation on your hardship enough to convince a Landlord.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more