I found a scam listing for Upper West Side. How do I report it to Trulia?

Asked by Hcarrier, Wynantskill, NY Sat Mar 16, 2013

--
This question was asked from this property: http://=www.trulia.com/rental/3111594204-15-Central-Park-W-New-York… target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.trulia.com/rental/3111594204-15-Central-Park-W-Ne…

Answers

11
Alison Hillm…, , San Francisco, CA
Tue Mar 19, 2013
Please email us directly, we take this very seriously and would like to investigate. Email fraud@trulia.com.

Ali, Community manager
Jerry Trudell, Agent, NY,
Sun Mar 17, 2013
The price in this ad was way beyond suspect, it was nothing short of laughable . Therefore, anyone who has even a cursory knowledge of the rental market in Manhattan should be able to tell at a glance that this is not an apartment it is a bad joke as well as a scam. plain and simple. However, there are lots of people who are quite clueless regarding the market, and they see lots and lots of "great deals" on CL as well as other on line shopping venues. When these individuals attempt to actually view the aforementioned "deal" they generally become frustrated, as they are never actually able to view any of these "great deals" .In a worst case scenario the only thing they "succeed " is in getting scammed.
This is, of course, unfortunate for both the public as well as the industry, as we both get hurt by this situation . i suggest that a group of realtors, such as myself, brainstorm a way to form a focused coordinated effort to actually expose scammers, by posing as prospective customers, make an inquiry, and then immediately report the info o the State Attorney General. We may be able to make some sort of coordinated effort here, that could help, and it may also offer a bumper crop of pr for the industry. If any fellow realtors out there want to brainstorm a bit give me a call anytime, my cell# is 917-995-5064. Is anyone out there?
Jerry Trudell
Licensed Real Estate Agent
Yes, we were well aware that the rent was not appropriate for the location. So I decided to go back and forth with the man to see what his intentions were. "Send me money via Western Union and I will send you the keys". I could post the entire email conversation and you would truly get a good laugh out of this. One of the many red flags was the man had a very Irish name, but wrote in very bad, broken English. Like you said, I hope there are more people like us who know these postings are scams. Thank you for anything you can do to try to put a stop to these or at least get the word out to people to beware. I think you would have more success with the latter.
Flag Sun Mar 17, 2013
Darius Chela…, Agent, New York, NY
Sat Mar 16, 2013
By the way. When a broker's email address ends with gmail or any other mail besides his or her company name... it's usually a big give away.
dchelaru@aclawrence.com
Darius Chela…, Agent, New York, NY
Sat Mar 16, 2013
Hi. I really feel your question. These scams really make all brokers look bad. Sometimes price is a big giveaway. 1500 for central park west is impossible even for a studio. You might get a room for that price. Second you really should deal with reputable brokers. I've had calls to cobroke with these fly by night agencies and even though I would make money... I refuse to work with them. If you're in a bind give me a call. I could find you an apartment in your area and view them that same day. By the way there should never be a charge or down payment for viewing apartments.
A.C. Lawrence
729 7th Ave. 4fl
New York N.Y. 10019
Darius Chelaru
212-361-9243
Honestly Darius I do not think this guy was a broker at all, just a scam artist. Its obvious they are all over craigslist and I don't agree with if a broker email address ends in gmail they are scam. Not true at all.
Flag Tue Oct 8, 2013
Kimberley, Both Buyer And Seller, Upper West Side, New York, NY
Thu Dec 19, 2013
how did you know it was a scam?
Melissa Goss, , Center Moriches, NY
Fri Apr 12, 2013
Trulia should only allow agents to post in the rental section. This sort of stuff makes the entire site look bad!
Christine Go…, Agent, New York, NY
Mon Apr 1, 2013
Good that you took the initiative to report this to Trulia. If you're a prospective renter, I would also suggest checking out this recent article about rental scams in the city http://therealdeal.com/blog/2012/03/21/ag-issues-alert-again… The NYS Attorney General's office takes this kind of thing very seriously.

Looking forward,

Christine Gordon
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Cell: 917.881.2924
Fax: 347.328.9352
Apartment updates available at http://www.christinegordon.postlets.com
"Home is where the heart is."
Martina Ryan, Agent, Bayside, NY
Wed Mar 27, 2013
Flag it but it probably has been removed by now.
Sally English, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Tue Mar 19, 2013
Trulia has been god about removing fraudulent listings and I applaud their efforts. I have found many of these listings are sourced from Postlets. Postlets syndicates listings out to a lot of webites so you might want to gogle ou address and see if the scam listing shows up in other locations.
Jenet Levy, Agent, New York, NY
Sat Mar 16, 2013
Click "help center" on the very bottom. Then you will get a "contact us" option.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sat Mar 16, 2013
You can flag the listing or contact customer service http://www.trulia.com/help/ask/