I found a home to rent but the owners are not in town the women I have been dealing with has only text me because she says sage was in a car accident

Asked by Unspecified, Thu Aug 9, 2012

that left her deaf she also wants me to send her the deposit in cash via western union I'm not sure what to do or how I can find out of this is just a fraud please help thanks

Answers

14
Robert McGui…, Agent, Denver, CO
Fri Jul 5, 2013
Unspecified,

I would assume that this is a fraud and 'run screaming'. This is typical of the common and classic scams in place right now. They probably have deposits from 5 or six others unspecified and unsuspecting victims. they will keep up the scam until the date to move in. I have heard of multiple moving vans lined up and ready to move in on the 1st of the month when these scams are in place. Please don't send them any money and report this to the police department. Move on to a legitimate rental.

Robert McGuire
Broker/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
http://about.me/robertmcguire33
Phil Lunnon, Agent, Lakewood, CO
Fri Jul 5, 2013
I would bet my bottom dollar that this is a SCAM. NEVER send money by Western Union unless you know the person. You'll be dollars ahead if you just walk away now.
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Fri Jul 5, 2013
It's a scam. 100% guaranteed scam. The proof is sending the deposit in cash via Western Union.

I know it sounds like a great deal--priced hundreds lower than you were expecting. Right?

Scam.

Don't send a penny. Don't respond to her. Move on.

Marti Smith, Home Buyer, Broomfield, CO
Fri Jul 5, 2013
You can look up the property in County records to see who owns it. Then, contact the owners to see if it is legitimate. If not, they can have this person arrested.
Marti Smith, Home Buyer, Broomfield, CO
Fri Jul 5, 2013
Ask for something that proves she owns the property.
Sonja G Nagel, Agent, Arvada, CO
Tue Jan 15, 2013
I would tell you if you cant meet them in person then it may be a scam. Go to the county web site and see who the owner of the property is see if the name matches. Also check with the neighbors for the phone number of the owner.
Jessica, Renter, Denver, CO
Fri Jan 4, 2013
Scam. Just a really messed up one. Walk away.
Bdanielson2, Home Buyer, Harrison, ID
Thu Nov 1, 2012
Dont ever send a cash deposit. If the owners are gone, she might just live there without them knowing and only will take your money. Go to neighbors or the police to find out how to get a phone # for the owners. Dont be taken
Michael Huff…, Agent, Englewood, CO
Sat Aug 25, 2012
All the classic signs of a scam, dont ever send someone a deposit without meeting them in person.
David Janis, Agent, Boulder, CO
Thu Aug 9, 2012
Get this on almost all of my listings. Scammers will take my photos and post ads for rent on Craigslist.

Walk away!
Michael Emery, , Minneapolis, MN
Thu Aug 9, 2012
Definitely a new twist on an old scam. Usually the renters say they're in London and they will mail you the keys. Often the potential renter goes knocking on the door only to find there is someone living there. If you're close, take a trip to the home and knock on the door.
Phil Lunnon, Agent, Lakewood, CO
Thu Aug 9, 2012
Red flags all over the place on this one! Read the article in the link below. Everything about this points to a scam.
Joetta Fort, , Arvada, CO
Thu Aug 9, 2012
Scam. It's the exact same scenario over and over. Except that the owner is usually a 'missionary'.
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Thu Aug 9, 2012
If it looks like a duck,
and it walks like a duck,
and it smells like a duck.....

You cannot say you weren't warned!