I am trying to rent this property at 8204 williams creek drive. The "owner" is telling me to send him a deposit via Western Union. really for rent?

Asked by mileah curtis, Austin, TX Wed Mar 26, 2014

Answers

6
My NC Homes…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Thu Mar 27, 2014
You never send money to anyone you don't know by mail. The owner or his agent must meet you at the home with the key, show you the property,. have a lease to be signed and only then do you hand over a deposit.

You're being scammed.
Eric Hegwr, Agent, Austin, TX
Thu Mar 27, 2014
Don't do it. This is a SCAM!

Instead of trying to do it yourself, I suggest you work with a licensed Real Estate Agent who specializes in Leasing.

They can help you find a place, complete the application, and make sure you get the place all at no cost.

Here's how the process usually works:

First complete the standard Rental App, but leave the property address blank. I have all my clients do this so their paperwork is ready when they find a place to live. In addition, I need a copy of your driver's license, and copies of your last 2 paycheck stubs to verify your employment (so the landlord can see how you are going to pay for the place)

Then I will send you all the properties that meet your criteria (size, price, location), and we can schedule a time to go look at them together.

When you find one you want to live in - we submit your application (already completed) and a small application fee to process the paperwork - usually less than $50.

When you have been accepted, we then submit the deposit to hold the place.

Let me know if you have any other questions,

Eric
Is it really generally free? I was under the impression that it would cost money
Flag Tue Apr 1, 2014
Mitch Mckenz…, , Austin, TX
Sun Mar 30, 2014
Hi Mileah,

You might let me know your status on this question. I can research the owner and let you know who should be offering it as a rental. As a Rentors agent, my services are generally free as we are paid by the owner. Let me know if you need a proper agent to help.

Mitch McKenzie
Texas Landlord Services
Broker/Owner
Jessica Mitc…, Renter, College Station, TX
Fri Mar 28, 2014
I wouldn't send anything western union until you have seen the place and have keys in hand. It' may be fraud.
Susie Kay, Agent, Dallas, TX
Fri Mar 28, 2014
I would suggest hiring a realtor to represent you.

Susie Kay, RealtorĀ®
GRI, CHMS, SFR
Residential/Commercial/Investment
------------------------------------------------------------------
United Real Estate
III Lincoln Centre, 5430 LBJ Freeway #280
Dallas, TX 78240
469-371-2899
susie_k@att.net
http://www.dfwdreamhomes.net

Servicing your real estate need is my priority!
,
Kevin Richey, Agent, St George, UT
Wed Mar 26, 2014
It sounds like a scam?!? The best way to flush them out is to ask some area specific questions, like how close is the hospital or the best restaurant in the area etc. You probably already know that if they are asking for money before you have seen the house it is a scam.

I just had a similar experience trying to sell a truck on Craig's list.

Be Careful
Thanks. Do you happen to know if that property is for rent?
Flag Wed Mar 26, 2014