Rentals in San Diego>Question Details

Sarita Hollo…, Other/Just Looking in San Diego, CA

I am trying to relocate to San Diego, I have a 5th grader and looking for safe areas with good schools. Any suggestions?

Asked by Sarita Holloway, San Diego, CA Fri Jun 29, 2012

Hi Christian,

The Poway School District is probably the most sought after in San Diego, but there are plenty of good schools in the county!

Here are some helpful links:

California School Ratings

CA Dept. of Education - Standardized Testing and Reporting (STAR) Results

CA Dept. of Education - Academic Performance Index (API)

Poway Unified School District

Warm Regards,

Cory La Scala, REALTOR
Independence Realty
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 29, 2012
Where will you be doing most of your business in San Diego? To me, that becomes a consideration as traffic patterns could be a factor in where you decide to rent vs work. As others have said, there are lots of great options in San Diego and only you know what is right for you.

Many times when agents are asked the type of question that you asked, the agents respond in based on their life experiences and preferences. That is nice, but it may not be that same as your preferences. Many years ago before we purchased our first home, we asked a realtor who was popular in the area to help us find something in one community we liked. He in turn tried to persuade us to move in the area that he was most familiar with. He was trying to talk us into a condo....which in his area were at a price level similar to single family residences where we wanted to look. We dumped him and found a place where we wanted to be and it was absolutely the right decision.

Check out Cory's links and do your homework. Your research will pay you back in better results and decisions when you relocate.
Lot's of great schools in SD. Depends on your budget and lifestyle. Give us a call and we'll be happy to show you around. 760 815-6977, Or email me at
Yes if you want your kid to go to a great school, look into Mendoza Elementary off Coronado Ave.
Hi Christian,

Al great questions and needed to get answered when one is relocating, especially when you have children. As for our fellow agents, answering your questions based on the parameters you listed could be construed as "steering", which is illegal in the US. Steering is a violation of the federal Fair Housing Act.

As for direction and places for you to look to get answers, Cory La Scala has it all the right links. These are the same we use for prospective buyers.

Best of luck,

Mark & Kari Shea
Shea Real Estate
Serving Greater San Diego
Hi Christian24/7,
I noticed several of the responses are referencing different public school districts, but you might want to also look at some of the private schools in San Diego like Mission Bay Monessori Academy(Mission Bay), Bonita Country School (Bonita), Academy of Our Lady of Peace (North Park) & The Children’s School(La Jolla). If you want to provide me with some additional detail of the other amenities that you are looking for could provide more information on pricing and availability.
Please feel free to call or email me.

Fiel A. Barrow
Hi Christian24/7,

Be sure to check out Trulia's Local Info with data on Crime, Schools, and more here:

Be sure to select the right filter on the map to see the appropriate data.

Hope that helps!

Community Manager
I would recommend the Poway Unified District. That's where I take my daughter.

For homes for sale or rentals:

April Nguyen
Hi Christian, There are many good areas in San Diego, it all depends on what you are looking for and where you will be working. Carmel Valley, 92130 zip code, is very popular because of the great schools and being close to many major employers. The prices for homes and rentals could be a bit higher than some of the other areas of San Diego.

Here's a link for you to search school ratings:

Best of luck in your move.

Fay Yates

Congratulations for being the type of parent that know what is most important!
Poway and San Dieguito School District are the ones with the best reputation.

I would love to help you find a home, what is your budget?

Hector R. Gastelum
Realty Executives Dillon
REALTOR #01382940
efax 619-270-2516
I used to teach in the Sweetwater District before I became a full time Realtor. I would suggest the neighborhoods of East Lake, Otay Ranch, or Rancho Del Rey in the South Bay. In North County I would suggest any neighborhoods in the Poway District or Carlsbad Unified.
Depending on your price range I would suggest the Poway Unified School District.
The neighborhoods within that district are extremely safe, and they have fantastic value.
I live within the PUSD, and my wife is a teacher.

If you have any questions please email: