I am seriously considering relocating to the Indianapolis area but would want to rent first to see the area before considering purchase.

Asked by Debra Roberts, Evanston, IL Wed Nov 6, 2013

Want to rent a TH but would consider a SFH. Want to relocate next September. When would be the best time to begin looking to secure a property for rent? Are there any places that will assist in the search besides using the internet?

Answers

5
jay.meadors, , Indianapolis, IN
Tue Nov 26, 2013
When you are ready to purchase I can assist you with getting pre-approved and walk you through the mortgage process. If you contact me now I can send you some information on the home buying process so you are prepared. It's helpful even if you've owned a home before.

Jay Meadors
Mortgage Loan Officer
Fifth Third Bank
317-788-3002
jay.meadors@53.com
53.com/mlo/jay-meadors
Kristin Schl…, Agent, Avon, IN
Sun Nov 10, 2013
There are a lot of rental opportunities in Indianapolis, TH & SFH alike. My husband and I relocated here about 3 years ago from the Chicago area as well. You will find things in the MLS (we call in the BLC here), however there is an abundance of opportunities for rental that are not listed there as well. You can search on craigslist, forrent.com, rent.com, hotpads.com, or any of those sites. Depending on where you want to look in the city there are some specialized sites as well like rentbroadripple.com.

As Agents we can only show you houses on the BLC, but the first thing you really want to do is know where you are looking in the city, or if you are looking for areas outside the city. Being from Chicagoland I can give you a good idea of what will be comparable to Chicago areas. I would suggest getting a feel for where you want to be, and then really taking a deep look about 2 months out.

Keep in mind that most TH and SFH for rent do not sit on the market for long, Indy's rental market is hot and things move quick. If you look to early things will not still be there, but you want to make sure you give yourself time. When we relocated we found this out. We moved in 2 weeks after finding the place, landlords here want to get it filled quick and they won't hold the property.

Give me a call, or send me and email. I'll be happy to help.

Kristin Schlesinger
317-407-9307
kschelsinger@callcarpenter.com
http://www.callcarpenter.com/kristin-schlesinger
Braxton Dent…, Agent, Inianapolis, IN
Wed Nov 6, 2013
The rental market in Indianapolis is really hot right now and has been for quite awhile. If you are looking to relocate next September I would begin seriously looking roughly 8-10 weeks before you plan to move because everything you will look at and may consider will likely be gone when you are ready to put your deposit down.

Depending upon the areas you are considering you can find a Realtor who would be willing to take you around, show you the city, and help you find a great place to rent. If you are looking TH or SFH you will be best suited to contact a Realtor you feel comfortable with and use their services. If you wanted an apartment specifically you can find those through a local Google search.

I am always available to help out new clients and I focus my business heavily on out-of-town clients looking to get to know the city and surrounding areas. Feel free to call, text, or email me at your convenience.

Braxton Denton

Century 21 Scheetz
Cell-317-800-4515
Braxton@c21scheetz.com
Avery Garrett, Agent, Greenwood, IN
Wed Nov 6, 2013
I can help you search for homes or townhomes that are listed with a Realtor.

Many are not listed, though. So Trulia, Zillow, and Craigslist are good resources for this.

Right now is a really good time to buy, though. I can help you pick an area that is most condusive to your lifestyle and location needs. Then, you can take advantage of the historically low interest rates, and lower prices that the market has to offer right now.

Either way, contact me through any of the below avenues you prefer.

Thank you.

Avery Garrett, Realtor
Coldwell Banker Kaiser
317-721-2274
soldbyavery@gmail.com
Search for homes for sale or rentals at http://www.soldbyavery.net/idx/search/
Prentiss Holt, , Nashville, TN
Wed Nov 6, 2013
I would begin look 2 to 3 months before you need to be in-residence. You may want to consider enlisting a local apartment-finding service... but honestly, I have been told that using craigslist is generally just as effective, and has no associated costs.