I am looking for a house to rent in the Rosemont Middle School area, preferably with 3 bedrooms and cat friendly. Thank you!

Asked by Lynda, La Crescenta, CA Tue Jul 17, 2012

Answers

1
kapitl420, Home Buyer, La Crescenta, CA
Wed Sep 26, 2012
Good luck bringing your kids to La Crescenta, its a terrible decision. As a person born and raised in La Crescenta, I can personally say its not worth it. Let me guess, you want to send your kids to the Blue Ribbon schools, right? The only reason the schools in the area are "so good' is because there are a large number of Korean immigrants (I am Korean as well, however my parents were born in the Bay Area). This large number of immigrants PUSH their kids to do well. I am not saying you won't push them, but you have to understand, these parents OWN these kid's lives. They have nothing but to come home and study all night or get beaten (I used to tutor these kids). Simple as that. These are the kids that set these exceptionally high test scores that everyone raves about.. If possible, look up the demographic info on those test scores. For everybody else in La Crescenta, the town has nothing to offer, which is why ALL the kids do drugs at an extreme rate. TRUST ME, I know. Tujunga is to the west, and meth heads are very convincing. La Canada is just east, and those rich kids just blow all their parent's money on more drugs. Again, TRUST ME. the whole town shuts down at 8 o'clock and the kids here have nothing to do but drugs. I don't know how to say this any more clearly. Sure the area may not be festered with violent crime or other things like that, but delinquent kids break into cars, smash mailboxes, do drugs and just wreak general havoc. If you are the parent that will push your kids like an immigrant parent, then the area may work for you. But, if you are that parent, then your tactics will work at ANY school. Another point to keep in mind, which I'm sure you are considering, is that you think these "good schools" will better your kids chances of going to college. WRONG. Don't forget, the inflated test scores set a higher standard for college apps from this area. Again, TRUST ME. You would be better off keeping them in an OK school or bad school where they can blow away the competition and get into any university (and you would pay less rent money). Did you know the UCs offer special scholarships to students that come from poor or underachieving schools? For me personally, I dropped out of high school here. This doesn't necessarily mean I was a bad student, actually quite the opposite. I attended CVHS and Clark Magnet with a combined GPA of 3.8, but i dropped out at the beginning of my senior year when I only needed 10 credits to graduate (5 credits for Govt and 5 credits for American History, which are only offered to senior students). I was enrolled in both classes at the start of senior year, but the sheltered lifestyle made me love drugs too much and I didn't care for school or authority anymore. Plus the police will profile and harass people for being dark skinned (which I am). DId you know CVHS' most famous alumni is Lawrence Powell, the culprit in the Rodney King beating? Needless to say, I still managed to graduate from a great 4 year university (UCSD), I have a terrific job making more than 60k, and I'm only 24 about to buy my first home. NONE of what I have achieved was due to going to these "good" schools, but my personal hardwork and dedication in the face of intense adversity.

In conclusion, don't move to La Crescenta. You just may regret it.

Signed,

Soon-to-be-ex-La-Crescenta-resident
I love La Crescenta and I have a son that graduated from CV. He's doing well, graduated from SBCC, is now serving in the Coast Guards in Cuba and has just been accepted to the Maritime Academy in Valejo (San Francisco). Couldn't have had better experience. Hey, he wasn't vanilla either but whenever something went wrong in school, especially at Rosemont, I was informed or called by the teachers. The schools are very good and I am very happy that we moved here for the schools. It sounds to me like you hung out with the wrong crowd. I wish you the best.
All the Best,
Steve Kuhn
Flag Wed Mar 13, 2013