I am in the process of cleaning up my credit. I've paid off any/all past due accounts on my credit report. Is this going to help me find a place?

Asked by coxerika, Napa, CA Tue Feb 18, 2014

Answers

7
swickersham, Home Buyer, Napa, CA
Tue Feb 18, 2014
Yes, that will certainly help. What you don't want to do is close any of the accounts. I am a local lender and can help you. Please feel free to either call or e-mail.
Sean Wickersham
707-287-1901
swickersham@rpm-mtg.com
Thank you very much. I'm currently working with a credit company (Blue Water Credit), but I would very much hear what you have to say. Can I call you tomorrow? Which would by Wed. Feb.19th.
Flag Tue Feb 18, 2014
Dennis Evans, Agent, Clifton Park, NY
Tue Feb 18, 2014
If you have a local bank, credit Union or financial institution you work with regularly, Pay them a visit, explain exactly what your wishes are and they will help you through the process...
paying off debt and delinquent bills are always a good idea.
But working with people you know and trust is always a good way to go!
swickersham, Home Buyer, Napa, CA
Tue Feb 18, 2014
I am a local lender that works very closely with buyers in cleaning-up credit to get them ready to purchase a home. Please feel free to either call or e-mail with any questions.
Sean Wickersham
707-287-1901
swickersham@rpm-mtg.com
Kristofer Ch…, Agent, Napa, CA
Tue Feb 18, 2014
Clearing up your credit is a process.

I highly recommend you contact someone that can help you. Most will meet with you for free initially, but it might be worth hiring them to make sure your credit is as good as it possibly can be.

I can recommend Credit Correct.

You may contact Erik Lacy, erik@creditcorrect.com. He offers free consultations over the phone.
Dave Samson, Agent, Napa, CA
Tue Feb 18, 2014
Hi Coxerika, A great free credit monitoring site (really, no credit cards etc) is https://www.creditkarma.com/ my clients find it to be right on the money when we buy homes and a full credit report is pulled.

You can also model scenarios e.g. paying off cards etc to see what effect it has on your score. Good luck to you.

Cheers,

Dave Samson
Realtor, Napa
Trevolyn Hai…, Agent, Highland, CA
Tue Feb 18, 2014
It will definitely help and Simon's suggestion that you check with the credit bureaus is something you should definitely do (at least once a year). You may also want to write a letter of explanation for the past credit negatives & how you will not do that again to include with your application.
Great info. as well! I really appreciate any/all information that helps me! Thanks again!
Flag Tue Feb 18, 2014
Simon Campbe…, Agent, Miami Beach, FL
Tue Feb 18, 2014
Paying off past due accounts is a good way to prove dependability and improve your credit. It can take some time, however, for these actions to change your credit score. It may be a good idea to check on your credit score now that these accounts have been cleared.

Another good way to help you to either buy or rent is to have a good security deposit or down payment. It can also be a good idea to have at lease one months rent or mortgage payment set aside in a savings account in case of emergency.