I am attending Vandy this fall for the ACNP program. I have never been to Nashville and need help finding a home for rent.

Asked by Cld020483, Nashville, TN Wed May 4, 2011

Having never been to Nashville, I feel lost on where I should look to find a home for rent. My price range is 800-1000/month. It must be pet friendly. I am leary about trying to do any dealings over the internet with persons on craigslist and would prefer to use a real estate agent if possible. Does this sound reasonable? If so, who do y'all recommend I use? I can look at apartments all day on the net, but would really prefer a home. Please help!

Answers

2
Leanna McKee, Agent, Hendersonville, TN
Thu May 5, 2011
I agree with Scott. The price range will be tough close to campus. There are options for housing, but closer to the school is a little more expensive than the range you mentioned for a house. You may have to have a short commute to stay in that range. You can look for options online but I would not recommend agreeing to anything until you have seen the property. Craigslist as you mentioned is a great source for information, but again I would not do anything sight, unseen. To search the MLS like I do visit my website at http://www.LeannaMcKee.com and look for rentals. I would be happy to preview properties for you if that would help you feel more comfortable. Congrat's on Vandy, and I think you'll love Nashville!
Web Reference:  http://www.LeannaMcKee.com
Scott Pettus, Agent, Nashville, TN
Wed May 4, 2011
Cld,

As a Vandy '08 grade myself, I know how hard it can be to find what you're looking for. A 1 bedroom stand alone home is going to be incredibly tough to find in that area, especially for the price you're looking for. I do see one duplex that is available on Natchez Trace for $895 a month, but it does not list if pets are allowed or not. Is there anyone else in your program that you might be able to room with? There are quite a few 2-4 bedroom rentals in the area.

As you can probably guess, the large majority of rental units in Nashville are simply posted on Craigslist because they do not want to have to pay an agen to market their unit. I built a website that does allow you to search all rentals that are currently on the market that also have an agent. Just go to this site and click rental on the "property types" tab and type in your criteria. Again, these are only the units that use agents and post their rentals on MLS.

http://www.nashvillecondogroup.com/search.php

I would also ask your housing department about their online listings. I do know that Vanderbilt has a website that lists rentals in the area that are specifically advertised to Vanderbilt students. Lastly, just drive around the Vanderbilt area, especially the Blakemore and Natchez parts just to see if there are any for rent signs just sitting in the yard.

If you would like any further help, or would like a tour around the area, feel free to give me a call. My name is Scott Pettus and all of my info is on that website on the bottom. Have a great rest of the week.