I am a single mom with bad credit from a divorce, can afford $1600 a month for a 2 bedroom. Willing to pay 2 months security.

Asked by mzsmassey, Bronx, NY Sun Jan 12, 2014

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Mary Stock, Agent, New York, NY
Sun Jan 12, 2014
In addition to what has already been said about how to negotiate on your credit problems with the landlord of the new apt., you should also pick your community carefully.

If you are looking in Harlem, you should know that it has fast gentrified. For you, that means new buildings have been built and rents are higher than you might expect. But look at all types of bldgs., including the new ones, and "try out" the landlords. You might get a deal in a new bldg., even if higher rents are advertised. But also try prewar buildings off the main drag. There will be less resistance there to credit problems. MAKE AN EXHAUSTIVE SEARCH. It's the only way to maybe get lucky with a landlord in a nice building who agrees to rent to you,
0 votes
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sun Jan 12, 2014
Consider working with an agent of your own. As to the credit, much will depend on the landlord/building, each is different; however you can consider being upfront regarding your credit; be prepared to show proof of employment/pay stubs; possibly pre-pay some of the rent; possibly offer extra security; have some reference letters handy; consider a guarantor, etc.
0 votes
Craig Rothfe…, Agent, Harlem, GA
Sun Jan 12, 2014
Message me at craig@harlemlofts.com if you have any interest in these. You may have to consider Insurent to act as a guarantor but won't know till we see your credit.
* 434 W. 163rd #25 (2-bd) $1550
* 9-11Vermilyea #22 (2-bd) $1800
* 3694 B'Way #4D (1-bd) $1350 {CB}
* 551 W. 170th #63 (2-bd) $1800 {CB}
* 500 W. 140th #7H (2-bd) $2000 {RC}
0 votes
Candis Ransom, , New York, NY
Sun Jan 12, 2014
Management companies are used to working with applicants with less than perfect credit. You have a few options 1) Provide a guarantor (they will need to make 80x the monthly the rent).
2) Insurent (a company that acts as a guarantor). You can research them at http://www.insurent.com. They work with specific management companies and landlords. They charge a fee, which usually is the equivalent of one month's rent. 3) pre-pay a portion of the rent or offer extra security.

I want to recommend an amazing company that helps repair and build your credit. Many of my clients have used this company. Please contact Anthony Davenport at Regal Financial located at 481 8th Ave., Ste 524 • New York, NY 10001
O. 646 450 0153 • F. 877 529 2684

I would love to help you find an apartment, help you get your paperwork in order and submit an application. I know some lenient landlords.

Please contact me at your earliest convenience so we can get the process started.


Candis S. Ransom
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Keller Williams-NYC
425 Park Avenue, 6 Floor
New York, NY 10022
M: 214-405-2020
0 votes
I agree with all Candis has offered. If you are working with a Regal Financial [highly recommended] it will show any management company or owner that you are taking steps to repair issue that may not be of you making.

There are owners/management companies that will entertain applications fro individuals with poor credit if you provide an explanation and show that you are actively trying to correct the issues.

Best of Luck to you.

Ray Yahnke
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Citi Habitats
157 Columbus Ave -Suite 2w
New York, NY
c: 917-406-1059
Flag Sun Jan 12, 2014
Mercuryviaggi, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Sun Jan 12, 2014
I am sorry, but I am interested in a house for sale in Manhattan.
Thank you
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more