Rentals in Chicago>Question Details

Victoria Her…, Renter in Chicago, IL

I am a section 8 voucher holder I'm seeking a home for rent... ( in a good area)

Asked by Victoria Hernandez, Chicago, IL Fri Mar 15, 2013

I am seeking a home for rent I have only came across homes for rent in the southside and westside of Chicago which I do not want to move to. I now reside in the Portage Park area In a beautiful duplex townhome it's just too small for my family. I have a 4bdrm voucher, I'm hoping to find someone here that can help me find a home, Or a landlord that is willing to accept section 8. Thank you...

2 votes Share Flag Rentals in Chicago

Answers

10
Seeking’s answer
I am seeking a apt or home for rent also. I have a 2 bedroom section 8 voucher..I signed up for the mobility program three times and each time the counselor try to give me rentals like in South shore and other areas that I choose not to move into

I have contacted landlords on my own through Craiglist who will willing to rent me places In Hyde Park or the Loop and once I give the worker the address I am told that the address is not a Opportunity area. Hyde Park to me is a Opportunity area

They have Good schools and stores all over and Low Crime..

We assist with searching for units all over the city of Chicago. We focus on the neighborhoods of your choice.

Not True once I dont take the few listings they give me then they no longer work with me

The only calls I get is invitation to go on tours. I am familiar with a lot of areas. I have tour many different neighborhoods on my own. I know where I want to go.

The workers I had they only try to give me South side areas like in Roseland and South shore and just because South Shore have many stores it also comes with a lot of crime and drugs and killing. I just picked up my moving papers and I am looking for housing in a nice area. Dont drink or do drugs or play loud music. I do not have any teenagers.

Ianyone have rentals please contact me by replying to this post
Toskanelia Palmer Thank you very much for responding back in detail...... You wasn't there so you don't know what was given to me Not only were they given to me my counselor at the time picked me up to see 3 apts in South shore and she also had one in Roseland for me to see but I refused........ 100% of the time when participants are "engaged" in their own search. I have email message and Text messages and address where I was very much engaged in my search. I wake up early in the morning contacting landlords off different web sites. I ride around and view rentals from 7 a. m to almost 5 p . and I been doing this for months now. The ones that i do find that are in nice areas I was told that they are not Opportunity areas. I had Landlords from the loop two of them that was willing to rent to me.. In any case I said what I had to say. and The Counselor I worked with I heard was fired because she was doing things that was not right
Flag Fri Jul 19, 2013
I never came to your location for orientation I went to the other location.. and I don't have to lie I have no reason to. I am very truthful by what I am saying. I under stand the program very well. and No I wasn't giving http://www.thecha.org/mobility until I called a few weeks ago so now I do know how to search. I don't mind the tours at all but I was also touring local opportunity areas and looking and contacting landlords on my own in Lakeview. Loop Lake Park etc ...... No I do not live in an Opportunity area or I wouldn't been allowed to participate in the program. Everyone has the right to their opinions and this is mines. I heard the other workers I worked with is no longer there but I was given South shore locations and Roseland locations as Opportunity areas. Not trying to down or dis credit the program. I think its a wonderful program and many participants have been helped, I just dint have the right workers
Flag Fri Jul 19, 2013
I never came to your location for orientation I went to the other location.. and I don't have to lie I have to reason to. I am very truthful by what I am saying. I under stand the program very well. and No I wasn't giving http://www.thecha.org/mobility until I called a few weeks ago so now I do know how to search. I don't mind the tours at all but I was also touring local opportunity areas and looking and contacting landlords on my own in Lakeview. Loop Lake Park etc ...... No I do not live in an Opportunity area or I wouldn't been allowed to participate in the program. Everyone has the right to their opinions and this is mines. I heard the other workers I worked with is no longer there but I was given South shore locations and Roseland locations as Opportunity areas. Not trying to down or dis credit the program. I think its a wonderful program and many participants have been helped, I just dint have the right workers
Flag Fri Jul 19, 2013
Roseland and South shore are not opportunity areas. If you visited 2858 W. Diversey for an orientation, you were not given any addresses in Roseland or Southshore not in the City, it is a Chicago Suburb and nothing in South Shore is an opportunity area. If you came to our office, you were also give http://www.thecha.org/mobility to check your own addresses on the Chicago Housing Authority map to make sure it fits into the parameters set by CHA.
This was also discussed in the orientation. I know for a fact because I, as well as all of my co-workers participate in the orientations. If you came to the orientation at 2858 W. Diversey, you also filled out several forms stating that you understood the program and that you would be open to going on tours and explore other neighborhoods of the city called "Opportunity Areas" by the Chicago Housing Authority. I don't think it is fair to discredit the program to millions of people on Trulia if you don't fully grasp how it works.
Flag Sun Jun 30, 2013
Continued: It is also very important that you are being truthful in your post as there are millions of people reading it. If you live in Portage Park, unless you were given a special referral from CHA, you're already in an opportunity area which means that you do not qualify for our program. We focus on neighborhoods of your choice but as stated in our orientation, being part of mobility means that you are open to exploring other parts of the city. If you want to live one block from where you reside, the mobility program is not for you. We focus on neighborhoods of your choice but you must also be realistic in what you're requesting. You're also not required to go on tours as stated in the orientation. We suggest you go to be "OPEN" to other areas. of the city. The program works 100% of the time when participants are "engaged" in their own search. Based on what you've written, you are not being very honest here. Please feel to call the office at 773-698-6467 for clarification.
Flag Sun Jun 30, 2013
Dear Renter:

I work directly with Mobility. I know for a fact that you were not given any units in the South Shore area as South Shore, according to the Chicago Housing Authority's map is not an opportunity area. Also, all units given to prospective tenants are inserted into a map first before given to you.

You are correct, Hyde Park is an opportunity area but as stated in the orientation and by your counselor, the address DOES NOT fit into the Chicago Housing Authority's MAP. There are pockets in Hyde Park that are not opportunity areas. We tell people who come through our program that it is not our organization who makes the decisions, this is the Chicago Housing Authority who made the decision to DENY the address, it is their decision, not ours. You are more than welcome to move into the areas of Hyde Park that will accept your voucher and work with you, but you do not get the benefit of our assistance of $500.00 and assistance in making sure the HIGHER RENTS ARE PAID.
Flag Sun Jun 30, 2013
I would like to recommend that you utilize my free website at http://www.idealhomesinchicagoland.com. You will be able to search for properties throughout Chicago and the surrounding areas. My website features up to date information, so you will not be finding homes and properties that are no longer available like on some of the realty websites that you may be using. My website also offers an array of neighborhood and market information that can help you make your determination on homes and locations. My featured partners are industry leaders that can assist you in making any realty transaction easy and transparent. I welcome you to utilize this amazing tool. As always I will be available to answer any questions that you may have.
Get a leasing agent that specializes in this to help. Its free to use their services.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 15, 2013
Looking for a little help I'm in houston tx on the Northwest side of town and I'm looking for a landlord near 77070, so that my kids can stay in the Cypress district if anyone know of someone that can help me please inform me.
I am a section 8 voucher holder

thank you so much !
HOUSING OPPORTUNITIES UNLIMITED located at 2858 W. Diversey in Chicago is a new organization tasked with assisting Section 8 Voucher holders with finding apartments, condos and houses in the neighborhoods of their choice.

In addition to that, we will give you $500.00 toward your Security Deposit or you may use the money for furniture.

The catch you ask?

Attend a 45 minute orientation about our program and Fair Housing. After that you will assigned a Mobility Counselor to assist you with your search. We handle all of the paper work and inspections form beginning to end. We stay in contact with you and the landlord to ensure everyone is happy.

We assist with searching for units all over the city of Chicago. We focus on the neighborhoods of your choice. We do not try to steer you into neighborhoods that do not suit you. We understand that HCV stands for Housing Choice Voucher! It's your choice!

The program is very new. We've been tasked with giving away $200,000 in increments of $500.00. One grant per household.

We work with Real Estate Agents, Private Landlords and Property Managers all over the City of Chicago.

Call the office Monday-Friday from 9am-5pm. Make an appointment and don't forget to bring your moving papers!

Toska Palmer/Mobility Counselor
Managing Broker
773-698-6467
Hello thank you for responding, I did call and they told me since I live in an opportunity area they can not assist me. And that's my thing to stay in an oppurtunity area. So what can I do?
Flag Mon Mar 18, 2013
Victoria-

We have several single family homes that may suit your needs - they are located in the 6700-7100 blocks of Woodlawn, Park Manor and Grand Crossing. Please let me know if you would like more information.

Erik Sachs
RpV Realty and Development
Cell 773/368-5515
Email esachs@rpvinc.com
Victoria:

Are you seeking for a 4 bedroom home or will a 3 bedroom do?
Please contact me, I may have what you're looking for in your area specifically

Thank you
Mario Salcedo
310-275-8700
Greetings Victoria

Feel free to contact me should you have any further questions.
Dear Victoria,

I am sure a broker or leasing agent the specializes in section 8 will respond. You can also check on craigslist. Make sure you put the bachelorhood you are considering moving to and section 8 or Sec 8 in the search field.

Best of luck.
do you also have information on section 8 homes for rent in the western suburbs of cook county?
Flag Sun Mar 17, 2013