How much could I rent waterfront Alki beach apartment for?

Asked by jiffyxpop2010, Seattle, WA Wed Feb 6, 2013

It has 2br, 2ba, a balcony overlooking beach, 1550 sqft, w/d and dishwasher in unit, 2 pkg spaces, but 1970's style kitchen.

Answers

3
Nicole Larsen’s answer
Nicole Larsen, Agent, Burien, WA
Thu Feb 7, 2013
Having 2 parking spots is great. Is it on the beach side or across with a view? I see 2 bedrooms along that area in the $1595 to $2500 range, depending upon the updating and quality of finishes, which side the street.... A few dollars in some updating can bring you hundreds more per month in rent. I would be happy to make recommendations for what could give you the most bang for your buck, should you want a Property Manager's opinion.
Michael Cope…, Agent, Seattle, WA
Wed Feb 6, 2013
Without seeing it and taking into consideration a lot of other details it is hard to give an exact estimate of how much to rent your apartment for. However, I've seen apartments similar in size and location to yours renting between $1,800-$2,500/mo. depending on the time of year,condition of the apartment, etc.

I would look online at what others are asking for rent on Craigslist, trulia, hotpads, etc.. And compare your unit to those. You don't want to be asking for the the highest rent on the beach but you don't want to lose $$$ either. Keep in mind that spring and summer months are quickly approaching and those are months that more people are thinking "wouldn't it be nice to live on the beach?"

You've got a great location working in your favor in addition to there being a very LOW inventory of similar available units. Good luck to you!

Michael Copeland
Wendy Hughes…, , Seattle, WA
Thu Feb 7, 2013
I have lived in West Seattle for 15 years. Alki beach rentals are few and far between. Not having an updated kitchen IS going to directly impact what you can ask for in rent though. The kitchen is the most important room in the house and if it's not updated a lot of people are going to pass on your place, regardless of location. It does not cost too much to update - have you looked at kitchens by IKEA? They are modern, efficient, and very affordable. If you updated the kitchen you could land a quality tenant that will stay for years, and you want that stability. It saves you money in turnover costs and lost rent. In its current condition you couldn't ask for more than $1500 I don't think - what kind of flooring is In there? That also needs to be something that looks nice. You could ask for $2000 if you have an updated unit. It will pay for itself.