How many branches from a neighbor's tree need to fall on my property before the tree is declared a nuisance that the neighbor must deal with?

Asked by Hannah Desmond, Fort Lauderdale, FL Thu Apr 18, 2013

Answers

5
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Fri Apr 19, 2013
Hannah,
Sounds like it is time to MOVE!
Call a Fort Lauderdale real estate professinal and they wil lbe able to find the perfect shade free location for you and get the very best price for your home with a beautifully shaded yard.
Market is improving rapidly and inventory is stll low.
Curly Sue, , Texas
Fri Apr 19, 2013
My boyfriend got a chainsaw after his neighbor's tree after ONE branch fell.
Melissa Goss, , Center Moriches, NY
Fri Apr 19, 2013
We knew someone that was forced to cut a part of their pool houses roof off because it hung over into the neighbors property. It was all petty, but they won, and he ended up having to spend thousands to shave back his roof. LOL.

At any rate, if the branches hang into your yard, you may be able to lawfully get them cut.

To save yourself trouble though, attempt in talking to the neighbor. Is the home vacant?
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Fri Apr 19, 2013
You need to see what the local or state law is. Some communities allow you to cut anything hanging over your side. Simply check to see if your town has a housing standards department and if not ask for the building department where they can guide you.
John Bourassa, , Fort Lauderdale, FL
Thu Apr 18, 2013
Hannah,

That may varies from city to city. But, I am not sure if any tree is considered a nuisance to the eyes of any cities except for neighbors branches that grow over your property side and messes up on your property.

You best need to call your city for that answer