How far in advance of my move should I have a contract in place?

Asked by Kristen, Virginia Beach, VA Thu Jan 17, 2013

For example if I need to move into a house on February 10th when should I have of decided on a house and have a contract in place by?

Answers

5
Davidson Saunders Team’s answer
Davidson Sau…, Agent, Columbus, GA
Thu Jan 17, 2013
Typically homes rent out at the first of the month, so you should be looking now to sign a contract for the month of Feb if you are moving in February. Most will pro-rate the rent amount from the day you move in.
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Thu Jan 17, 2013
Have you never RENTED before?
You need to communicate with your new Landlord;
When will the house be ready for you to move in?
What do you want to do to it before you move in?

We have moved, a long distance, like you are, and when we arrived, with a UHaul full, we threw the matress on the floor and passed out. We awoke the following morning and commenced to unload.

You just have to work with your senario.
Kristen, Renter, Virginia Beach, VA
Thu Jan 17, 2013
Apologies I meant in terms of renting. Sorry for the confusion.
Stephanie Mc…, Agent, Canton, GA
Thu Jan 17, 2013
Dear Kristen. Most loans will need 30-45 days to process, FHA and VA being the longest at 45 days. Speak to your lender and he will be able to tell you how much time he needs - some can get them done sooner than others.
Most sellers do not want to tie up their property any longer than 30-45 days. I tell buyer clients of mine that with low inventory (as we have now - not sure about your area), they should allow 3-4 weeks to find a property so back that up from the desired closing date. Good luck
Margot Lipin…, Agent, Louisville, KY
Thu Jan 17, 2013
Hi Ms Kristen,
To clarify, you are talking about a contract to purchase, right? It depends on the type of loan and the area you are moving to. In this area it takes 30-45 days from accepted offer (binding agreement) to closing (possession).

If you are talking about renting, I believe rental applications can be taken and approved within a few days.

Hope this helped! Let me know if I can help in any way.