How does one rent an apartment with bad credit? Are there any owners that doesn't require credit checks?

Asked by Jamie Harris, Chicago, IL Mon Aug 19, 2013

I'm willing to pay more money up front and I'm only looking for a Studio apt within the Hyde Park or South Shore area. Can someone please offer some advice, guidance, or a contact person who can help someone like me? Thanks in advance!

Answers

13
Jacqueline S…, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Aug 19, 2013
Not all rentals require credit pulls, but most of the ones real estate agent represent will. You can go directly to a rental management office and apply, many do not do credit pulls.
dirk gould, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Aug 19, 2013
My best advice is to be up front with the landlord. Let them know that you are willing to pay an extra month of security deposit. Give them any information that will help your case such as an explanation for your bad credit, references or recommendations from past landlords, etc. There are plenty of tenants in your exact same situation right now. Good luck.
Manuel Brown, Agent, Chicago, IL
Tue Aug 20, 2013
Jamie,

It has become more difficult to for renters with bad credit to find homes to live as landlords themselves have been burned and are being more cautious.

Firstly, you must be totally honest with any landlord. Many times people have situation in their lives where they have been unemployed for a long time or have medical bills, etc. Some landlords will take that into consideration as long as your electric and gas bills are current and up to date.

I wish you the best of luck.
Jamie Harris, Renter, Chicago, IL
Mon Aug 19, 2013
Thanks to all who responded to my question, everyone gave me great ideas and I will utilize them towards my apartment search! I feel much more confident looking now than I did before I asked the question. Trulia.com is the best!! Thanks again!
Evelyn S. Fr…, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Aug 19, 2013
Hello Jamie,

Best suggestions are a) explain why the bad credit, and, b) offer to pay 2-3 months rent in advance, in addition to the security deposit and 1st months rent.

JIM Michaels, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Aug 19, 2013
email me at jmichaels@remax.net and I will try to assist with your request
Matt Laricy, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Aug 19, 2013
You can try to explain to the landlord why the credit is bad. Put down extra security deposit as well.
Broker Martin, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Aug 19, 2013
Hello Jamie,

Please call me at 773-301-1091 I may have a unit that will work :)

Thanks!
Bill J Delig…, Agent, Naperville, IL
Mon Aug 19, 2013
Be honest - Provide a Letter of Explanation - Be ready to provide a LARGER security deposit OR pay more rent upfront.
Suzanne Hami…, Agent, Orland Park, IL
Mon Aug 19, 2013
In my experience, most if not all check credit, but not all have the same criteria. I would offer more security deposit or more money up front to show you are serious. Also, an explanation for your credit will help.

It is all about competition with rentals and what you can do that beats the competition.
Thomas Moser, Agent, East Northport, NY
Mon Aug 19, 2013
If you have good reason for your credit being poor be up front with them and offer additional security.
David Hanna, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Aug 19, 2013
I have a 4 room apartment in HP for $1000, can be one or two bedrooms, landlord is flexible.
Do you have any thing in Romeoville or Bolingbrook area? I'm going through the same thing I have bad credit from medical bills and student loans and can prove a $80,000 a year income and I can't find anything! I need a place by June 1st
Flag Thu May 11, 2017
Riccardo War…, Agent, Bolingbrook, IL
Mon Aug 19, 2013
there are many landlords who dont check credit but may be more concerned with your job security, in fact i am one of those landlords, if you are looking to rent in Bolingbrook Il, i am your guy.

Riccardo Wardlow
Owner
Quality Mortgage Lending
630-670-8266

RATED A+ WITH THE BBB

*We do Conventional loans down to a 620 score
*We do FHA loans down to a 580 score
*We do USDA loans down to a 620 score (no money down)
*We do $100 down payment FHA program
*Unlimited Loan To Value refinances on Fannie/Freddie refinances (only on loans originated before May 31st 2009
*We do VA loans down to a 620 score
*We give free counseling on what needs to be done to improve your credit score.
*We do 203k loans down to a 620 score
*We do reverse mortgages
*We do JUMBO loans to 12 million
*We do Itin loans
I'm looking to rent in that area I have been on Woodridge for seven years and don't want to move far from the area. My credit is bad and it's due to student loans and medical bills, I have a 80,000 a year income and been at my job 4 years, do you have any houses for rent?
Flag Thu May 11, 2017
I know someone who needs an apartment in that area. They are a student with a full-time job only credit they have is their student loans. What other qualifications can they use.
Flag Sun May 7, 2017