Infojunkie, Other/Just Looking in New York, NY

How does a newcomer to usa rent an apt without a credit report and a guarantor? Can anyone tell me about "Insurent" as a guarantor?

Asked by Infojunkie, New York, NY Thu Mar 15, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Michele Port…, , New York, NY
Thu Mar 15, 2012
I have had clients with credit issues use Insurant. They are a company that insures those without guarantors.They charge a fee for this service. It was equal to about 1.5 months but may be higher now. They are great for anyone who can not prove income or credit.. They work with you and make the process easy. Many landlords today will not take rent up front. Please feel free to contact me for any help with this issue. My email is
0 votes

What is different about renting an apt vs condo vs townhouse?
I'm taking a look into Queens?
Flag Thu Mar 15, 2012
Hi Michele,
Thank you for info.
Flag Thu Mar 15, 2012
Jennifer Aya…, Agent, New York, NY
Tue May 22, 2012
I have had many colleagues refer their clients to Insurent when they did not have a guarantor to help qualify for an apartment. They are very easy to work with and many NYC landlords accept them. Rental buildings are usually the most strict. Through an agent you might be able to find a condo or co-op that doesn't require board approval--they can help you work something out directly with the owner. You will probably have to pay extra months security or pay several months or up to the full year's rent in advance. There are also certain buildings that make it easier for international clientele to rent. But these are usually higher end luxury buildings.
0 votes
Martina Ryan, Agent, Bayside, NY
Fri Mar 16, 2012
Offer 3-6 months rent up front or try to get into a building where a friend lives. This way they can give you a reference. You might also be able to use your employer for a reference.
0 votes
Raoul Sodoga…, Agent, New York, NY
Fri Mar 16, 2012
I have a contact at Insurent that can help you out.
Shoot me an email if you want his contact info.

Warmest Regards,

Raoul Sodogandji
Global Market Specialist
Licensed Salesperson

(o): 212.252.8772 (EXT.782)
(c): 347.993.8333
0 votes
First Last, , 90002
Fri Mar 16, 2012
There are plenty of landlords who accept Insurent, but I promise there are some who won't.

So if you're using Insurent, your broker/agent needs to make sure you're not wasting your time looking at apartments with landlords that won't accept you.

People from other countries rent in New York every day. I'd be happy to help you find a great place to live in Manhattan or Brooklyn at $3000 or higher, and if your verifiable income is at least $120,000.

Welcome to the big apple!

Karla Harby
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Rutenberg Realty
0 votes
Lancelot Wat…, Agent, New York, NY
Thu Mar 15, 2012
the most common way for a someone coming to the United States to be approved by a landlord is to offer 1 year's rent upfront. And even sometimes landlords won't accept a year up front for accounting reasons. Insurent acts a guarantor to lessees who do not have credit, income, etc. You fill out the Insurent application and go through their application process and wait for approval. Upon approval and upon finding your new home, you will pay Insurent a 1 time fee. I know plenty of landlords who will work with you. Feel free to give me a call at 347-935-0545 or email me at

Best regards,
0 votes
Hi Lance,
Thank you for info.
Flag Thu Mar 15, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more