How do I rent an apartment after having an eviction on my history due to a divorce?

Asked by Kathy C, Huntington Beach, CA Wed Aug 7, 2013

My husband and I separated 2 weeks after we signed a new lease at our apartment complex. He promised to continue helping pay the rent until our lease was up Sept 2014 which of course he did not do forcing me to have to break the lease and move. I could not afford the rent on my own. I paid my half to the complex and he didn't. I had to move in with my Mom. Now 6mo. later I'm stuck trying to rent with our two labs while he lives in a friends house rent free. Can't seem to get approved to rent. So embarrassed and bummed. Any suggestions?

Answers

7
Emily Knell, Agent, Huntington Beach, CA
Wed Aug 7, 2013
Pretty much everything you just said here you need to put in a Cover Letter about yourself & why you had an eviction, when you are applying to any owner or property manager. I also suggest using photography or video of yourself too. It's 2013, break out the camera, sell yourself to your new landlord & don't be just another faceless name & number on a rental application.

Please also read my 2 blog postings here on Trulia to stay away from scammers, or you can google this phrase along with my name: RED FLAGS - RENTAL SCAMS - PUBLIC BEWARE.

I don't look back on this same Trulia thread for answers posted after mine.

Emily S. Knell
EmilyKnell1@yahoo.com
562-430-3053 c
Realtor Since 1996
Realty ONE Group
100% Short Sale Success Rate in CA
James Melton, Agent, Newport Beach, CA
Wed Aug 7, 2013
You need an agent to help package your application and present it in the least damaging way. Having two dogs doesn't help. You'll want to prepare a brief, but heartfelt, letter of explanation to accompany the rental application, and attach a friendly picture of yourself and your two dogs. Also, you should offer to put up a larger deposit than required, and you may even have to tempt the landlord with a higher rent amount than others are offering (almost always the listed amount). Please don't hesitate to contact me to assist you in this matter. I have empathy for you in this situation and feel that I can find a home for you.

James Melton, Top 2% of Orange County real estate agents (Orange Coast Magazine)
Realtor & Mortgage Broker, CA DRE Broker #01222353, NMLS #300133
President, Victory Mortgage & Real Estate Home Loans & Sales Since 1979, NMLS #366399
2901 W. PCH, Suite 200, Newport Beach, CA 92663
cell(714)318-4664, phone(949)939-9676 or (714)374-0022, fax(714)844-9094
web http://jamesmelton.listingbook.com
email jamesm@socal.rr.com
Cyndi Mino, Agent, Huntington Beach, CA
Wed Aug 7, 2013
I would also suggest the cover letter explaining everything in full details. Also, put in pictures of your two labs. A lot of property owners, especially apartments, will not allow animals, or won't allow large dogs. I rent a lot of properties that I have sold, for the owners, and they eventually give in to the idea of a pet in their home, but the best I've been able to get thru has been 2 small dogs, never large.

Analyz Wright…, Renter, 14606
Fri Feb 17, 2017
you can still get a place but you will need to find what is afforded and your price range. theres a possibility you can go to other websites and see what is available now.
, ,
Fri Aug 9, 2013
First make sure it shows on your credit report as it may not
Ingrid Ski R…, Agent, Mission Viejo, CA
Thu Aug 8, 2013
Hi Kathy

Yes, I can help you find a place to rent
And yes positioning you with a letter can help and pictures of your two wonderful labs. Need to know more info about your dogs and of there is anything else in your credit report thr may need to be addresses
Talk to you soon

Ingrid Ski Realtor
949-874-0432
OCAreaahomes@gmail.com
Jeremy Lehman, Agent, Garden Grove, CA
Wed Aug 7, 2013
Emily and Cyndi are right on the money here (as always). An eviction, bankruptcy, short sale, foreclosure and bad credit all look bad on paper. An explanation regarding those circumstances backed up with evidence to support it can make all the difference.

Best of luck...