How do I go about trying to locate Section 8 renters?

Asked by Patrick Coulter, Ellicott City, MD Thu Sep 30, 2010

I just sold a rehab to my client who wants to turn it into a Section 8 rental property. Where would he find Section 8 tenants? Any suggestions on how to locate them? Thanks!

Answers

6
Rebecca Reev…, Agent, Lutherville, MD
Thu Sep 30, 2010
Yes, you have to go to Baltimore Housing http://(www.baltimorehousing.org) and click on landlord and take the steps necessary to become approved for the voucher program. It isn't especially difficult but it is a rigid process. The property has to be inspected and approved ( or corrections made) and then there is a mechanism for promoting the property to voucher holding renters.
Peggy Lyn Sp…, Agent, Bethesda, MD
Thu Sep 30, 2010
Marci Yankel…, Agent, Baltimore, MD
Thu Sep 30, 2010
I have done a lot of section 8 and have a contact at Section 8. Contact me and I will give you his info. He has bought me and my clients GREAT tenants. He will walk-thru and advise your clients on the best plan of action to get the highest section 8 rent!
June Piper-B…, Agent, Baltimore, MD
Thu Sep 30, 2010
There is a website called http://www.gosection8.com for landlords, tenants and property management companies.
Holly Jarvis, , Parker, CO
Thu Sep 30, 2010
Be sure to check HUD's website. They tell you how you go about getting approved to rent Section 8 homes.
Rebecca Reev…, Agent, Lutherville, MD
Thu Sep 30, 2010
PS... by the way...another way to go isfor your investor to list the property 'for rent' with an agent who is familiar with the Sec 8 program ( you can get familiar with it PDQ) and specify' vouchers welcome' LARGE and CLEAR in the remarks and when a prospective sec 8 tenant responds, they will provide the contact info so you can get the property approved for that specific tenant and become a Sec 8 landlord. The process is the same as starting with the landlord process but you cane xpedite the inspection/approval/and documentation bc you have a Sec 8 client who wants to move in. That's how we did it.. Just make sure the voucher the tenant has is precisely what you are offering. If your property is 3 BD and the voucher is for 2BD, it will ultimately be denied to that client - but you will still be an approved sec 8 proprty/landlord.