How do I find out the cost of electricity/gas for a particular address?

Asked by Paula, Spokane, WA Wed Feb 22, 2012

Answers

8
My NC Homes…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Thu May 17, 2012
You can typically contact (or have your agent contact) the utiltiy companies that service the property and they will give you the past 12 months of information.

However bear in mind this is more or less worthless as it's data without context. You know nothing about the current occupants and how they live. Perhaps their nudists who keep it extremely warm, or perhaps their extremely frugal and don't run AC in the summer and leave the heat at 65 degrees in the winter. Do they have children/teenagers, if so how many and do they stand in front of the refrigerator with the door wide open regularly etc? Without knowing how the current owner really use the house, it's more or less meaningless data.

I have had clients ask me this questions for over twenty years and I always tell them the same thing, I'll get you the numbers but they mean very little.

A home inspector will be able to tell you about the HVAC and it's efficiency rating, as well as about the appliances and hot water heater. They will be able to tell you about the insulation in the ceiling and if the house is on a crawlspace the floors. The can talk with you about the windows and how tight they are.

If you're really concerned about the utility costs buy a newer energy star rated home.
Ann Wick, Agent, Spokane, WA
Sun Feb 24, 2013
If the property is located in the City of Spokane you can call Avista 1-800-227-9187. The service both gas and electric for the majority of Spokane Proper and service electric and gas individually in various outlying areas. If you have access to the meter you can see who’s name is on the seal tag and that will help direct you to the correct company. If it is outside their service area you would need to locate the proper servicer. While too many to list here they are available in the phone book.
W. Michael K…, Agent, Spokane, WA
Thu Nov 8, 2012
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Michael/Desktop/Avista%20Averages.htm
Is where you want to go to check on residential and commercial gas and electric usage based on an address. High, low and average costs
Scott Hulen, , 64068
Thu May 17, 2012
If you are this concerned about utility cost then pursue the purchase of an energy star rated home. This can be 20-50% more efficient than a home not built to energy star standards. Learn more at energystar.gov As many have stated the variables are great when looking at others utility bills and may not reflect the actual costs. Good Luck!
Tim Page, , 99037
Wed May 16, 2012
Ask the home owner to give you gas and electric bills. This will depend on how hot or cold they keep it, but it will give you a starting point.
Tim Page, , 99037
Thu Mar 1, 2012
Yes, ask the home owner. I've found that gas will run $120 to $180 per month in the winter and maybe $5 in the summer. Electric is around $60 to $80 per month, but of couse this will depend on the usage and the insulation for the home, etc.
Laura McCourt, Agent, Leominster, MA
Wed Feb 22, 2012
The best way usually is to call the local utility company and tell them that you are looking for estimates with the bills. Usually they can give you an idea for the high and low. The other thing you can do if the house is still owned by the seller to to have your agent request copies of the bills.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Wed Feb 22, 2012
Keep in mind that much depends on usage; you can ask the current sellers the question, ask your agent, ask a neighbor(s) with a similar property, or contact the utilities companies for an estimate.