Rentals in Washington>Question Details

Stephen.Lee1,  in Washington, DC

How can we list my APT for Rent?

Asked by Stephen.Lee1, Washington, DC Sat Jun 29, 2013

Answers

6
I specialize in sales and rentals of condos and cooperatives in DC. The first step for my company is to set up a time to view your rental and provide you with an analysis of current rental rates in your building and community. From there we sign a rental listing agreement. The next step is to provide you with suggestions to get your unit in top showing condition. Once ready, we hit the market and begin marketing and showing your property to possible tenants. We review and screen all applicants for everything from credit, employment, and background checks. Once you have selected a tenant, a Greater Capital Association of Realtors lease is drafted and signed by all parties. As you can see, we handle the process from end to end. Feel free to contact me for further details. valerie@bestaddress.com
As is the case with selling a home, there are two options - doing it yourself, or using an agent. If you were actually selling, the benefits of using an agent are pretty compelling. For renting, however, the benefits are not as compelling. On the plus side, using an agent would mean that an experienced professional would be representing you, marketing your listing, and helping you through the process. On the other hand, renting is not as complex as selling, so the need to hire a professional is not as great (there are some complications, though, particularly in DC, so using an agent is often worth the cost).

A factor that may potentially loom larger, though, is the applicability of DC's Fair Housing laws. DC has some terrific protections in place to ensure that people who want to buy or rent a home are judged SOLELY by their ability to pay. It's a great law - not only does it help to prevent discrimination for just about any reason whatsoever, but it also recognizes individual freedoms and property rights, and says that in certain, very select circumstances it may be OK for a property owner to decide that they don't want to sell or rent their home to _______. If this is your only apartment and if you DON'T use an agent, then you'll be exempt from some of the requirements.

If the ONLY criterion that is important to you is whether a prospective tenant will be able to pay the rent, then good on ya! Using an agent might be a great way to go. BUT if ANY other factor might be a concern for you, be sure to look at the list of protected classes in DC to make sure there isn't a prohibition against using that as a criterion: http://ohr.dc.gov/publication/protected-traits-dc

If you do rent your apartment (and whether you use an agent or not), make sure to follow all of the laws. To legally rent an apartment in DC, you have to register it and get a business license. This is regulated by DCRA; they are very helpful if you do decide to move forward on your own. I would also make sure that you become familiar with DC's very strong tenant protections. A summary can be found at the following link: http://ota.dc.gov/publication/tenant-survival-guide

Best of luck!
Hi Stephen, contact a Realtor to help you.
Talk to an agent! I can give you an educated estimate as to what your rental could fetch in today's market. Please call or email me and we can set up an appointment.
Before you list; Compare and then contact your selected agent. SHould you require a competitive market analysis and some quick promotoion ideas along with pre-qualified renters contact http://www.rodwellbuildingservices.com.
How can I list My APT in DC area for Rent?