Hi was looking to rent a studio in manhattan between lower manhattan to wet or east 100 street. The maximum I am willing to pay is $1000.

Asked by Kelly Liang, New York, NY Sun Apr 7, 2013

I am college student, no children, work part time

Answers

8
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Sun Apr 7, 2013
Hi Kelly

I am sure some Manhattan agents will come along with specific responses to what the inventory is for a studio at 1000 a month - probably limited options, but know that many landlords will require you to show 40 x the rent as income........so, with a rent of $1000, your part time job woud have to generate $40,000...........otherwise you may need a guarantor. The income requirements for a guarantor are much higher - possibly 80x the rent.

Best wishes..............
John Peitler, Agent, NY,
Thu Apr 11, 2013
I don't think you will find anything in Manhattan for $1000. Please contact me. My name is Tanuja and I can be reached at 347-882-0353. Thank you and good luck.
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Mon Apr 8, 2013
Just to reiterate what someone else said - if you do look on Craigslist, PLEASE be careful as it is filled with rental scams.
If it sounds too good to be true - it is NOT true (even if they show actual photos of the unit - they hijack them from real listings!).!

Never wire anyone money - never believe anyone who says they can't show you the property because they are out of state with some story as to why.........make sure you're dealing with the legitimate landlord........and if you're offered a sublet, make sure it is allowed by the building.

As mentioned below, your best option would be to find a shared apartment - there are sites for that.

Best wishes to you..............I know rental prices in Manhattan can be shocking to someone from out of the area, or not familiar with just how high they can be!

I went through this process with my son when he got his first apartment, some years ago, in the city following college graduation. He ultimately shared an apartment wirth 2 others.... the parents had to be guarantors. He found a 2 br apartment which was turned into a 3 bedroom when the dining area was closed off by having a temporary pressurized wall installed. Often 1 bedroom apartments are turned into 2 bedroom units by having this kind of wall installed, too.

Some of the buldings restrict this now, but others don't, so it is an option you can investigate.

Look into all your options.

Best wishes.........
Joseph Hasti…, Agent, Bayside, NY
Mon Apr 8, 2013
Kelly, your budget allows for just about nothing on Manhattan Island. You might want to reconsider what you are willing to pay. I can tell you the budget you're working with would be extremely tight for Brooklyn and Queens also. I suspect you would prefer a no fee apt as well. Another response below suggested you look for a share situation. That may be your best option here. Good luck.
Jerry Trudell, Agent, NY,
Mon Apr 8, 2013
Your budget will not allow you to rent a studio in Manhattan where you want to. You may have seen "good deals" on line, but if they were "too good", chances are that they were scams. Most shares start around 1000 dollars, and if you look on Craigslist for shares, you will have a better idea of what your options are.
Carole Robbi…, Agent, NY,
Mon Apr 8, 2013
You may want to consider a share temporarily. It is the path to least resistance and will give you an opportunity to save up some money so that you can show liquidity. You may also want to consider a guarantor if you have parents in the tri state area.
Tom Dawson, Agent, New York, NY
Mon Apr 8, 2013
I will say first that I don't know the LES market so maybe you'll get lucky there but one of the cheapest studios I know of is in a nice building that is available for around $1500 near 100th and Broadway. You're probably going to have to find a way to increase your budget by about $500 or more to find anything livable in that area.
And as someone else said, you will likely need a guarantor or pay advance rent or additional security unless you can show annual income equal to 40 times the rent.
Mirza Shafiq…, Agent, New York, NY
Mon Apr 8, 2013
Well, good luck with that Kelly !
Why be rude to her? She is only asking - most people outside of the area have no idea how expensive Manhattan can be
Flag Mon Apr 8, 2013