Hi! I'm returning to the US in early 2013 after 20 yrs in Australia. I have a strong credit rating here, but do not have a US credit rating.

Asked by Kevin Pyle, Jersey City, NJ Thu Nov 1, 2012

I'm looking for apartments in the Grove Street, historic downtown or Journal Square area. What will I need to rent?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Natalia Cheb…, Agent, jersey city, NJ
Sun Feb 3, 2013
Some management companies have less strict requirements than individual landlords. I have recently helped someone from another country to find a rental here in Jersey City. They had no credit history in the US. The husband had an employment letter confirming his future employment. I have referred my clients to a rental center and they successfully signed a lease with a usual 1.5 mo deposit. No extra deposits were required. You are welcome to contact me off line for details at 917 566 8050
0 votes
Diane Maxon, Agent, Jersey City, NJ
Tue Nov 13, 2012
Just to add - by law the landlord cannot ask more than 1 1/2 months rent as a security deposit. Any additional payments would have to be as pre-paid rent.
0 votes
Hi Diane,
Thank you so much for the reply. It is most helpful. I'll be in contact once I have some confirmed dates and all of my documentation ready. It's a big move trying to get everything in order after so long away from the US!
Flag Tue Nov 13, 2012
Diane Maxon, Agent, Jersey City, NJ
Tue Nov 13, 2012
The Aussie credit reports will be helpful, but you probably will need additional items. If have a job waiting for you, an employment letter will help. You also may be asked to pay some month's rent in advance. Also, if you have a us friend with good credit who is willing to be listed as a Guarantor, that might clinch the deal for you. As a 30 yr resident of Jersey City, I would love to help you find an apartment that works for you.
0 votes
Laura Glazer, Agent, Jersey City, NJ
Fri Nov 2, 2012
Bring your credit report(s) from Australia. Those will establish your history and financial track record. However, you will need a very strong rental application, showing proof of funds and perhaps an offer of a larger security deposit. Putting some extra money in a bank account to show 4- 6 months' ability to pay rent is most helpful, plus a job that will vouch for you.
0 votes
Jacques Ambr…, Agent, Forest Hills, NY
Thu Nov 1, 2012
An income would be a good start, but if you can establish some credit here then it would go a long way. If not you may be required to give additional security deposits. See if you can get a u.s. credit card and use it a little.
0 votes
Thanks, Jacques. I am looking into getting a copy of my Australian credit history and references from my landlord here. I probably won't have employment as soon as I arrive, but I will have savings and, as I said, a very strong credit rating here. In Chicago, rent can be paid by credit card and there are rental agencies that support overseas residents returning to the US, I haven't been able to find the same support in the NJ area.
Flag Thu Nov 1, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more