Hi...I'm looking for a 1 bedroom anywhere in the downtown area for a February or March move-in date. Is this the best time to look or wait till 2013?

Asked by Kate, Chicago, IL Wed Dec 5, 2012

Advice and thoughts will be deeply appreciated. Thanks.

Answers

15
Joanna Weiss’ answer
Joanna Weiss, , Chicago, IL
Thu Dec 13, 2012
Now is the best time to look. There might be addtional listings after the holidays. I would be happy to help you with the financing. You will probably need to be pre-qualified before you start your search. Joanna Weiss
773-327-3580
JIM Michaels, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sun Dec 9, 2012
email me at jmichaels@remax.net we should start the process now
JoeTozerChic…, , Chicago, IL
Fri Dec 7, 2012
Your best choices will be 5 weeks ahead of move in. We have 2000 active listings in our database plus access to everything on the MLS realtors listing site. Chicago Apartment Finders is celebrating 10 years in business and is the largest locator service in the city. jtozer@cafinders.com
Joe Schiller, Agent, Chicago, IL
Thu Dec 6, 2012
you have several dozen places to choose from for Feb 1 and march 1 right now..I think waiting for Jan 5 will ot significantly change that.. most important what is your budget?
Manuel Brown, Agent, Chicago, IL
Thu Dec 6, 2012
Dear Kate,

Depending on your price range and where downtown you would like to be. It really isn't that soon to start looking for February. Some of the buildings I am working with are already reporting inventory for January and February. If you are looking to start working with a well rounded broker or leasing agent now is the time to start forming a good relationship.

Best of Luck,

Manuel Brown, Broker
iMove Chicago
Philip Sencer, Agent, Chicago, IL
Thu Dec 6, 2012
I assume you are talking about rentals. You are a bit early since most landlords either do not know their tenants are moving out yet or do not start marketing so long in advance. I would wait until Jan to start, but it can be helpful for an agent to start sending you listings based on the criteria you want so you can get a feel as to what your options might be. That way you can tweat your criteria if you do notlike what you see. Agents do not charge to help you.
Sohail Salah…, Agent, Chicago, IL
Thu Dec 6, 2012
Kate,

I always recommend to start looking 45 to 60 days out so in your case that would be now, or in january.

Sohail A. Salahuddin | Group Founder

Innovative Property Consultants Group | Sales and Leasing

http://www.innovativepropertyconsultants.com

Jameson Sotheby’s International Realty

425 W. North Ave. | Chicago, IL 60610 

O: 312.335.3230 | C: 312.437.7799 | F: 847.805.6030

"Locally Known, Globally Recognized"
JIM Michaels, Agent, Chicago, IL
Wed Dec 5, 2012
Start doing research now email me at jmichaels@remax.net and I can give you a great headstart
Cathleen Wal…, Agent, Chicago, IL
Wed Dec 5, 2012
I can help you. What are your must haves? Laundry in unit? Parking on street? garage? What is your budget? Do you need to walk to train? The best time to start looking would be now by setting up an email search after I know what you are looking for and what area of downtown? Lakeshore East, Loop, Financial District, Printers Row, etc. Call me or email me and we can set a time to talk on the phone first then meet. Cathleen 847.219.9366 or cpwalker@rubloff.com. I'd love to help you. Thanks.
Simir Shah, Agent, Chicago, IL
Wed Dec 5, 2012
You should have some searches sent to you in the different areas you area looking maybe there is a building or 2 you like you can get those units sent to you and jest keep an eye out to see whats going on in the market. If you are looking March 1st i would start looking mid to end of January.

Simir Shah
Publix Realty
Matt Laricy, Agent, Chicago, IL
Wed Dec 5, 2012
Less competition right now, but if your looking for that far out of a date, most likely the property wont be there.
Cindy Wilson, Agent, Chicago, IL
Wed Dec 5, 2012
You're OK for February but too early for March. Landlords learn about vacancies 45-60 days out, at the most. If you can start looking now, that's great, but you may not have much of a selection yet. I work with both renters and landlords, and I'm happy to assist. Using a site like Trulia to find current rental listings is a waste of time, as it is often very outdated and posts incorrect information. (I've been finding bad information about my own listings, and I can't always fix it.) Best of luck,

Cindy Wilson
Koenig & Strey
cwilson@koenigstrey.com
Bill J Delig…, Agent, Naperville, IL
Wed Dec 5, 2012
For a Feb 1 move in date it might be slightly to early, but starting now will not hurt you. If you find a place you really like be prepared to provide the security deposit immediately.

Be prepared to provide credit and income information as we as past rental history.

Should you need any assistance with your search, I would be glad to help.
Web Reference:  http://www.BJDHOMES.com
Rusty Payton, Agent, Chicago, IL
Wed Dec 5, 2012
Most properties would consider a rental in your time frame now. Check out our site for properties available now: imovechicago.com
Web Reference:  http://Imovechicago.com
Brady Miller, Agent, Chicago, IL
Wed Dec 5, 2012
Haha, prepare to be attacked by a hoard of rental agents! The best time to look is probably in late December or early January if you plan on a Feb 1st move in date. Any good renters' agent familiar with the downtown area should be able to help you out (including myself, of course). Good luck!