Hi, I am self employed. How should I go about getting a apartment?

Asked by Dana Leggette, Chicago, IL Sun Aug 5, 2012

Hi, I am a stay at home mom. My husband works a steady job. My income I make along monthly is around 4000 ( self employed), and my husband makes around 2500 a month, so together 6500 is our total income monthly.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Brady Miller, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sun Aug 5, 2012
Hi Dana,

Ideally, a landlord will be looking for 2 years of tax returns as documentation of your income, but if you do your best to provide solid evidence of your finances, you should be okay. It's a competitive rental market, so be prepared with all your documentation before you start looking so you can move fast -- it can be pretty overwhelming when you find you are racing other applicants! A good leasing agent can help you get the jump on a good place...
1 vote
Sally Grenier, Agent, Boulder, CO
Sun Aug 5, 2012
Are you looking to buy or rent? Sounds like you both make decent income and it shouldn't be a problem finding a place to live. Not sure what the market is like in your area, but here in Colorado it's actually cheaper to buy than it is to rent.

Talk to a local lender or mortgage broker to get prequalified. Even if you're self employed, you can qualify if you have good supporting documentation of your income (i.e. tax returns).

Good luck!
1 vote
Erik Sachs, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Aug 6, 2012
Hi Dana-

I can help with your rental search. First step involves filling out an application and having a conversation about your real estate needs and expectations. Please call or email me when you get a chance.

Erik Sachs
RpV Realty
Cell 773/368-5515
Email esachs@rpvinc.com
0 votes
Heyyy I have a question I signed up for a based off income apartment I work with my dad an he's self employed an they want me to show pay check stubs what should I do how does that work
Flag Mon Mar 6, 2017
Sohail Salah…, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Aug 6, 2012
Hi Dana,

You should have tax returns in hand and bank statements that show your income being deposited into the bank. This should be sufficient as long as it makes sense.

Sohail A. Salahuddin | Broker Associate | Visionary

Innovative Property Consultants Team | Sales and Leasing

Jameson Sotheby’s International Realty

425 W. North Ave. | Chicago, IL 60610 

O: 312.335.3230 | C: 312.437.7799 | F: 847.805.6030


"Locally Known, Globally Recognized"
0 votes
Matt Laricy, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sun Aug 5, 2012
I would get a good leasing agent to help you out. Its free for you to use their services. With your history, it should be easy to find a good one.
0 votes
Randy Schule…, Agent, Saint Charles, IL
Sun Aug 5, 2012

Fill out a rental application and provide the documentation that they request to make a decision. It's that simple.

It doesn't matter if you're self employed or work for an employer. What does matter is that your income is sufficient to cover your monthly expenses.

If you have more specific questions feel free to call or text me at 224-805-2616.
0 votes
Philip Sencer, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sun Aug 5, 2012
That should not be a problem. You usually need to confirm income with a recent check stub or letter from an employer, but since you are self employed a recent bank statement might work. If your credit reports are decent it should work. If you need some help finding what you want let me know.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more