Hello, I am trying to find a house with 3 bedrooms

Asked by Marissa Savo, San Jose, CA Wed May 16, 2012

I am looking for a house for my fiance, his son and two other roommates. We are all like family, and are responsible but it seems that owners are discouraged because we are young and they don't want the place to get torn apart. I understand this, but I am getting discouraged because I am finding it really hard to find any rental homes. I can see many apartments, but on Trulia and CL I am only seeing these and no homes. I drive around and see many signs, should I start calling people randomly? That seems like a waste. Any ideas out there? Thanks!

Answers

2
Grace Hanamoto’s answer
Grace Hanamo…, Agent, Cupertino, CA
Wed May 16, 2012
Hi Marissa:

Finding housing in the bay area can be really difficult, so I certainly understand your concerns, it can be even harder when there are so many people occupying a home and you've all got a budget for how much you can spend on housing.

Truth is, your best bet is to talk with homeowner if you see a "home for rent" sign and to continue to scour the Craigs list listings, rental.com, the newspaper and Trulia and Zillow. I might also suggest calling some of the larger real estate companies in the area where you want to live as many do have rental offices that might be able to help you.

As for the difficulty in finding housing, landlords are not supposed to discriminate when renting homes--that would include discrimination for race, sex and familial status, but that doesn't mean it will be easier. Perhaps offering to pay more security deposit would help put a landlord's mind at ease, as would letters of recommendation from former landlords. Anything that you can do that will help gain acceptance from the landlord would be to your benefit.

Good luck!!
Grace Morioka
Area Pro Realty
Terri Vellios, Agent, Campbell, CA
Wed May 16, 2012
Marissa,

Grace gave you good advice.

Our rental market is very competitive right now and you are not alone. It is going to take persistence on your part. By contacting agents they may have listings which can be rented out. Many agents help their clients in rentals before they are put on the market. The more people you talk with the better opportunity for results.

Have an amazing day!
Web Reference:  http://www.terrivellios.com