Good Day yes thank you I am looking to rent house / apt I have 2 dogs I must tell you my credit is not good

Asked by Eilee Doherty, Riverdale, NY Thu Sep 26, 2013

Answers

5
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Thu Sep 26, 2013
As for the credit issue, much will depend on the landlord/building, each is different; however you can consider being upfront regarding your credit; be prepared to show proof of employment/pay stubs; possibly pre-pay some of the rent; possibly offer extra security; have some reference letters handy; consider a guarantor, etc.; also consider working with an agent....
Trevor Curran, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Great Neck, NY
Wed Oct 2, 2013
Good morning Eilee,

I’m no real estate agent, just a humble Mortgage Banker, but I can give you some guidance on your search for the right rental apartment.

In my experience in the real estate trade, I’ve discovered that the consumer is best served by adopting some simple strategies, whether you’re buying a home, selling one, or renting an apartment.

First: remember that real estate agents work on commission. The better quality agents---and those with the most experience---will be testing you from the initial contact to determine if you’re serious and will commit to using their services. Why? Because real estate is like any other business; you don’t sit at a table in a restaurant to read the menu without actually buying food at some point. It’s the same concept: the experienced real estate professional has to earn a living by renting apartments to serious and qualified prospective renters.

Therefore, the smart consumer should be well-prepared and committed to respecting the real estate professional’s time. Prepare yourself with three fundamentals: amenities, location, and price.

Know your requirements for the apartment you wish to rent in terms of amenities (one bedroom versus three bedrooms; elevator building or private house), location (proximity to public transportation or need for parking), and price. If you present yourself as well-prepared you’ll have a better chance of working with an experienced agent who will work hard to find you the right apartment.

Second, start with the internet---especially TRULIA.com---but stay “local.” Don’t think a real estate agent in Brooklyn can find you an apartment in Queens, or vice versa. Here on TRULIA.com you can easily find a local professional by clicking on “FIND an AGENT” at the top of this page. There you can hone in on a seasoned professional in exactly the area where you wish to rent your apartment. TRULIA provides exceptional tools to help you as a consumer understand the quality of the professional you’re working with. Read the agent’s profile; check out the recommendations from previous clients; get to know the level of experience of the agent and the areas that agent covers.

Third, real estate agents are prevented by Federal regulations from answering certain types of questions. They cannot discuss schools or school districts, crime statistics, and a variety of other issues prohibited by Fair Housing regulations. If your agent is vague when you ask certain types of questions, now you know why.

Finally, demonstrate your level of seriousness to your real estate agent. Show up on time for your appointments to view apartments. If you’re required to submit documents for the Landlord to review with your rental application, get them into your agent’s hands pronto. Not only does this help you potentially get one step ahead of a competing renter, but you’ll be viewed by the Landlord as a responsible renter. Landlords prefer responsible renters, don’t they?

I hope that helps you improve the results of your search for an apartment, and helps you with a better quality experience.

Trevor Curran
Mobile: 516-582-9181
Office: 516-829-2900
Fax: 516-829-2944
PowerHouse Solutions, Inc.
1010 Northern Blvd. Suite 234
Great Neck NY 11021
Licensed Mortgage Banker – NYS Dept. of Financial Services
NMLS#3528

*If you thought my answer was helpful, please give me a “Thumbs Up” or “Best Answer.” Thanks!
Mildred Vale…, Agent, Bronx, NY
Thu Sep 26, 2013
Eilee,

Our office has an extensive rental department and we are open 7 days a week with flexible hours. I just rented a house in Pelham Bay, the renter also had a dog, she had to sign a rider and give an extra deposit for the pet!

If your credit is not up to standards this will make it somewhat challenging as Homeowners like to protect there investment and make sure that the tenant that will occupy will qualified but most of all be responsible and take care of the house as it was there's. You will go through this someday when you become a homeowner. You will need to provide employment verification and most likely last 2) years Taxes with W2's and a recent credit report, etc...
Every landlord is very different with there requirements, they might also require additional security deposit and a pet deposit. It also shows good faith and incase of incidentals that can take care of it.
Work with a professional so like that they can work with you and find you a place that matches your profile and criteria.
Beware of Scams......Don't exchange any monies or wire any funds to anyone.

Call our office today at 347-202-4965.

Best of luck!

Millie Valentin
Exit Realty Search
3928 E. Tremont Avenue
Bronx, NY 10465
http://www.ExitRealtySearch.us

If you though my answer was helpful please give me a "THUMBS UP" OR "BEST ANSWER"
The Lajara S…, Agent, Riverdale, NY
Thu Sep 26, 2013
Hi Eilee, 

Thanks for your inquiry. Our office has a rental division and specializes in exclusive rental listings in the Bronx. Call the office at (929) 222-4200 and explain to the receptionist what you're looking for so she can assign you to the proper agent. Best of luck with your search! 

John Lajara REALTOR®/Notary Public Certified Buyer Representative® (CBR) Certified Distressed Property Expert® (CDPE) "Saving families from foreclosure"
Cell: 917-848-4655 Fax: 917-522-9638 Website: http://www.JohnsRealtySuccess.com E-mail Address:john25lajara@gmail.com
RE/MAX In The City
| 5776 Mosholu Ave Bronx| NY | 10471

Like me on Facebook for lifestyle info in the highly desirable Throgs Neck (Bronx, NY) http://www.facebook.com/throgsneck

Visit me on Trulia & Zillow! http://www.trulia.com/profile/johnlajara
I live and own a home in 10471 (Riverdale section)

I decided to try Craigs list just to see what happens and within 20 minutes I had three phone calls

I was looking to rent a 10 room apartment 2 full bathrooms 3 bed rooms large kitchen with all new appliances their own laundry room and the people came over within an hour of the listing

I was so impressed with the third person I spoke to I gave them a 2 year lease and told them that as long as they want they can live here with no increase in their rent

They saved paying the real estate brokers month commission, saved the first and last month security and no back ground check.

You either trust someone of you don't

I don't need a real estate to advertise on Craig's list of some news paper I can do the same thing and why should someone looking for an apartment pay at least a months rent to have someone locate it when they could look themselves? The months rent they save they could use to buy furniture or paint the apartment the way they want it

Having a good tenant is worth a lot more then the few thousand one can make by renting to some idiots

I was told I by several real estate folks I was undercharging by $1,500 -$1,800 per month I thought price fixing was against the law? I hate the "going rate" nonsense as people know what they can or cannot afford

A person looking to rent should talk to the building owner get to know each other as they are going to live together hopefully for many years and most owners rather take less money but has someone who respects the property and takes care of it as if it was their own
Flag Mon Jan 6, 2014
Maria Cipoll…, Agent, Coral Springs, FL
Tue Oct 1, 2013
Nationwide, rental property demand remains very strong. Properties that are listed for rent they are often occupied in a matter of days, if not hours. This means that Landlords can be picky about who they rent to. Most Landlords impose minimum income, recommendations, non refundable pet deposit and credit score requirements.

Get in touch with a real estate agent that can explore all your options and help you with this process.

Best of Luck,

Maria Cipollone

http://www.Flahomespecialist.com