Does Trulia do background checks on people who list their own houses as rentals?

Asked by looking_to_rent, Fairfield, CA Tue Jul 23, 2013

I'm interested in renting a certain house, but am skeptical after talking with the owner. It sounds like a scam: rent is EXTREMELY low for the area, owner has no photos of the inside, and supposedly was transferred out of state for work. He doesn't have a local agent, so I won't be able to tour the house before submitting my application/information to him. He describes the house as a 4bd/4ba, but other websites describes it as a 6bd/4ba or 6bd/4.5ba.

Answers

5
Andrew Purdy CRS’s answer
Andrew Purdy…, Agent, Leadville, CO
Wed Apr 9, 2014
I would be skeptical of submitting any information unless you are SURE of who you are dealing with. Another problem you are facing with this situation is what happens when something goes wrong? If the owner is out of state, who deals with maintenance issues? How do you know that you are dealing with someone credible that won't disappear with your deposit? BE CAREFUL!
John Souerbry, Agent, Fairfield, CA
Tue Jul 23, 2013
DO NOT submit an application until you've toured the inside of any rental and confirmed proper ownership or management. I'm in Fairfield (west Cordelia) and would be glad to look up information on the property for you.
No, Trulia doesn't screen those who publish rental listings. I don't believe Craig's List or most other sites do, either.
Ernie Behrle, Agent, Raleigh, NC
Tue Aug 5, 2014
My daughter almost got caught up in a scam like this on Craigslist. The thing to remember is that if it seems too good to be true, it's probably BAD. ALSO!!! NEVER EVER fill out an application before seeing the home in person. Remember that every application requires your SS number and no legit rental company or owner would ask for that without meeting you first and showing you the property. In my daughters case, as soon as she told the guy her Dad was a Realtor he hung up on her. When I found out about it the next day and tried to call him, the number was already disconnected. Good Luck
The Spears T…, Agent, Vacaville, CA
Tue Aug 5, 2014
Be very careful renting from anyone other then a property management company. There are people out there that are rekeying vacant homes showing them and claiming to be the owner getting a deposit then disappearing. Both the homes that we had this happen to were in Fairfield.
Cindy Davis, Agent, San Diego, CA
Tue Jul 23, 2013
Truia is just a website that transmits information from one person to another. They don't check ut people. That is your job!

Best of Luck.