Do we have any rights when a landlord puts house on the market?

Asked by Ginny Foley, Natick, MA Sun Apr 28, 2013

My family is renting a house and are tenants at will. Our landlord just put the house on the market. Now, we need to accomodate showings and open houses during the week, weekend. And with two kids, it's a real pain to keep the house tidy and be out of it at scheduled times. My question is: shouldn't we be compensated in some way? We just bought a new house but don't close until end of July.

Answers

5
Masha Sender…, Agent, Newton, MA
Sun Apr 28, 2013
Unfortunately, the best thing you can do is find a way to cooperate. Maybe negotiate the times that showings can be limited to every day. Compromise.
Sorry you have to deal with this.
My NC Homes…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Mon Apr 29, 2013
Any rights you have are clearly defined in your lease agreement. You should review your lease and consult with a lawyer if you've any questions.
Louis Wolfs…, Agent, Needham, MA
Mon Apr 29, 2013
I have the same situation and a very good tenant who leaves their home immaculate and is accommodating to allowing us to show it. I do try to give them as much notice as possible and respect their wishes.

I have had tenants that have said no and restricted showings to only specific days and or times.

I guess my suggestion is put the shoe on the other foot as if you are the home owner and do as you would want your tenant to do if the roles were reversed.

Congratulations on the purchase of your new home. Hopefully they priced their home for sale fairly and it will sell quickly and inconvenience you as little as possible.

Louis
Ginny Foley, Home Buyer, Natick, MA
Sun Apr 28, 2013
That's fine if he can show it, but I shouldn't be forced to clean it to that level and leave for every showing? If I refuse, he could provide notice, I suppose, even though he promised we could stay until July.
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Sun Apr 28, 2013
Sure, you should be compensated...if your lease provides for that. You and your landlord are both bound by the agreement.