Do people prefer lockboxes or a realtor to show the house?

Asked by Victory Property Management, Raleigh, NC Fri Feb 3, 2012

Answers

11
Venita Peyton, Agent, Raleigh, NC
Fri Feb 3, 2012
Not sure what you're asking. Realtors use lockboxes and in NC aren't allowed to give the code to anyone who is not a member of the MLS.
Shaukatali K…, Agent, Katy, TX
Fri May 4, 2012
Do not give out a lock box combination to strangers who call to view the house.
Always verify if its a REALTOR.

Your asset is at stake here.
Tracy Santro…, Agent, Cary, NC
Tue Feb 28, 2012
There are several answers below from agents that are not located in North Carolina. In North Carolina we do not have the new state of the art electronic lock boxes that can track every agent that shows a property. We have the traditional combo lockboxes.

That said an agent is required to be present for all showings whether it is the sellers agent or buyers agent.
Krista Abshu…, Agent, Fuquay Varina, NC
Thu Feb 9, 2012
I think the it depends on what it traditional for your area. For instance in the Wake county / Raleigh area we have traditional (non electronic) lockboxes. So, a renter would need to contact the listing company or contact a licensed real estate agent who has MLS access to be allowed to show the home to the prospective tenants.
Benjamin, Renter, Woodmere, NY
Wed Feb 8, 2012
Well a Realtor is definitely more personal then have to talk to lockboxes. I have had my lock boxes show many of our listings to numerous clients of ours, and we feel that we have had more success with our real estate agents.
Thomas Bohlm…, Agent, Rolesville, NC
Wed Feb 8, 2012
YES.

The Listing Realtor will put the Lock box on the door. and only way to SEE this the home is through a REALTOR.

and yes some or many luxury homes may ONLY be shown through a Realtor and must be Prequalifed to get into see the home.

I am a Realtor and own several rentals. In my pesonal opnion, I do not even list my own rentals. I have a Realtor who speicalzes in Rentals to list and show my personal rental properties.
Patti OReilly, Agent, Raleigh, NC
Sat Feb 4, 2012
Appointment must be made by a NC Licensed Realtor in Wake County and the Raleigh area. When showing luxury homes listing agents are sometimes present to point out additional features. That can be a nice touch. It's all about service.
Web Reference:  http://www.PattiOReilly.com
Dorene Slavi…, Agent, Torrance, CA
Fri Feb 3, 2012
Dear Victory Realty,
Realtors prefer Supra Keys on Vacant Staged homes! This way we can preview the property and bring out buyers when they have time to see the property. The Supra will record who has been in the home so the listing agent can follow up with the agents. Some property is so complicated to get into, it might be avoided by busy buyer agents.
Lara McHenry, Agent, Spokane, WA
Fri Feb 3, 2012
This is a two fold question as we think about the goal? In most cases (especially in our area) it is imperative that a Realtor have easy access to the property. Realtors show multiple homes typically and the easier the showing process is for them and their clients the more likely they will show your home. Keep in mind it is the awareness and knowledge of agents that sell the majority of other homes. As a Realtor I try to remember I am mostly marketing to other agents initially. (giving them easy/unobtrusive showings helps)
To have a listing Realtor show the house in person rather than allow access is also fine but a matter of preference. I try to dissuade a seller from thinking I need to be there for every showing to let another agent in. But it depends on the agent. If the agent is capable of letting the buyers agent show the home and not interject or intrude then it is fine. It's one thing to point out details about a home quite another to follow a potential buyer and their agent around to every room. Just do what is comfortable for the seller but educate them about the process. Good Luck
Brenda Feria, Agent, Richmond, VA
Fri Feb 3, 2012
Most buyers want to see the house without the seller's realtor present. It sometimes can be a little awkward and uncomfortable.
Stacey Lenz, Agent, TAMPA, FL
Fri Feb 3, 2012
It depends on the home and what an owner is comfortable with. Electoinic lockboxes nowadays can be programmed with a "showing code" that would require all agents with electroinc keys to contact the listing agent before showing the property. In my case I go one step further and set my system to both text my cell phone and email me the details of the agent who has just entered the property. Luxury homeowners frequently request the listing agent to accompany and the listing agent typically requests for proof of funds beforehand. Homeowners who have special considerations, such as homebound elderly parents will also request for listing agents to accompany. It just depends on the circumstances.