Rentals in Chicago>Question Details

Kina Robinson, Renter in Chicago, IL

Decent area (northwest city & burbs) two bedroom no more than 900 a month. Less than perfect credit but my landlord will vouch that I WILL pay.

Asked by Kina Robinson, Chicago, IL Thu Jan 31, 2013

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Chicago

Answers

10
Right now, that price point is not going to work in most areas on the north or northwest side of the city, or near in suburbs unless you find an owner occupied building.
There is simply too much demand out there, and limited inventory this time of year.

But, things change every day.

Get that reference from your landlord in writing.
Have your security deposit and rent in hand.
Be ready to explain the credit issue.
Make sure your employer will provide something in writing about your prospect for future employment.

Keep watching craigslist and try Domu, they target the individual landlord.
Best of luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 31, 2013
Take advantage of your resources; craigslist, leasing agents, apartment websites. The more outlets you use the more likely you are to find what you are looking for.

If your credit is less than favorable you may want to consider sweetening the deal. Offering to pay a couple months upfront and writing a short note can go a long way. Worst case, maybe you could consider a cosigner?

The rental market is hot and owners are looking for the "best" candidate; don't get too discouraged if a few deals fall through. Just remember to sell yourself and not necessarily what's on paper.
Rents are up, might be tough finding a 2bd under $900. Drive around in the areas you're looking.
Work with a Realtor
Be prepared to provide more than 1 month in security deposit
Write a Letter of Explanation discussing in an open manor any issues you may have had
Provide Income and Credit info to future landlord
Web Reference: http://www.BJDHOMES.com
Please visit my website at http://www.idealhomesinchicagoland.com. You will find up to date information on all offerings in any area of Chicago. You can search by area or zip code. My website and services are free for you use. I don't want to tell you it is impossible to find something that meets your criteria, but my daily alerts will keep you informed if something becomes available. If you have any questions, please feel free to call me at anytime.
Kina,

You can try to find a really good leasing agent who works the suburban market. You can also check craigslist. What many renters don't know is they can search for a landlord on craigslist as well. You place your ad under housing wanted. State the the price you are looking to pay, number of bedrooms, and also place in your ad less than perfect credit but have perfect rental history. I personally wouldn't put my phone number in ad but place your email address and I am sure you will get some responses from landlords.

Find an agent to help you, but also keep an eye on craigs list and local papers.
nice neighborhood and good schools.
tried that...nothing there. Thanks.
Get a good leasing agent or check out craigslist.
I look on Craigslist everyday..nothing thus far. Do you know a good listing agent?
Flag Thu Jan 31, 2013