Can someone help me locate a real artist loft?

Asked by rickittajackson, Moreno Valley, CA Sat Jan 12, 2013

I'm a Fine Arts student at CSULA, and I've been looking for a live/work rental in the east Los Angeles area or even Long Beach area. I don't want the luxury lofts, that are all the rage in downtown LA, and cost luxury prices. I want a warehouse converted, real artist loft with cement floors. The problem is locating it. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where these are located? Should I find a realtor?

Ricky

Answers

6
Mack McCoy’s answer
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Thu Jan 24, 2013
Rickitta, you're a generation late.

Back in the '60s and '70s, artists took over abandoned warehouse and factory spaces, roughed in a bath and kitchen, and tried to keep the landlord from finding out. Anything that is "converted" is going to cost big bucks.

Many jurisdictions allow for a "caretaker's quarters" in industrial buildings; my advice is to look for a factory space that allows this.

Jamie Tian, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Thu Jan 24, 2013
Hi Ricky,

You should definitely work with a realtor. If you are looking to lease or purchase a property, it does not cost you anything to get help from a realtor.

There are many loft style buildings like what you described in the downtown LA area.

I am happy to help you find and set up appointments to view some properties in the area that fit your specific needs.

Please feel free to contact me anytime at (310) 717-1321 or JamieTian@RodeoRE.com.

Jamie Tian
Rodeo Realty
(310) 717 - 1321
JamieTian@RodeoRE.com
DRE# 01920120
Web Reference:  http://JamieTian.com
Bill Hooper, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Sat Jan 12, 2013
Yes Ricki, find a Realtor, thats an easy choice! As a buyer there is no fee for you! If your Realor finds the right loft for you and you write an offer and close escrow the Realtor's commission is paid by the seller! If I may be of service send me an email.

Best wishes,

Bill Hooper
RE/MAX
bhooper@remax.net
carlos parra…, Other Pro, Monrovia, CA
Sat Jan 12, 2013
Definitely work with an Real Estate Agent
Richard "RJ"…, Agent, Beverly Hills, CA
Sat Jan 12, 2013
Hello Ricky,
I specialize in these types of properties. I would be happy to assist you. Please contact me directly to go over specifics. Thank you.
Hi Richard,

My name is Drew O'Dowd and I am very interested in finding the same style warehouse as this topic. A blank canvas would be best for me. Looking to move in at the mid to end of July. Budget is around $1,000 a month give or take. Looking for at least 1,300 sq/ft. Please give me a call at 3109721555

Thank You
Drew O'Dowd
Flag Sat May 25, 2013
Sona Gallatin, Agent, Santa Clarita, CA
Sat Jan 12, 2013
A loft rental space you're referring to would best be found in the paper or the local LAweekly would be a good source as most of the ones you described are not going to be through an online source.
Also for LA area check out W paper or walk the fashion district and ask around.

Good luck, it's a wonderful area, my old art school stomping grounds too:-)