Rentals in Los Angeles>Question Details

Peter Skouras, Home Buyer in Temecula, CA

Can someone help? Have been living at home with my Mother and Brother who are on the lease for the past 10-15 years...I am not. Mother just passed

Asked by Peter Skouras, Temecula, CA Wed Nov 13, 2013

I filled out a Credit App (Score about 650) to be put on the lease. Can they charge a security deposit for me? My Brother and Mother already have submitted one 15 years ago. Can someone help?

Answers

8
Yes they can ask for security deposit, but they should return your Mother's deposit to the estate.
DON'T KNOW, BUT TRY A RENTERS RIGHTS OFFICE IN YOUR AREA
Hi Peter

Sorry for your loss. Yes they can ask for a security deposit
but get in touch with the many Mediation and Tenant Rights boards.

Perry
Web Reference: http://www.ruthandperry.com
You know what guys? You are all the nicest people...I can't believe it...Real Estate people! Wow. I am a 50 year old former professional soccer player who has had issues. However, today and for the past 3 years I'm getting ready to transfer to a major U. from LACC. Psych. major. This place where I live is crazy...have been here for around 15 years and they know it. Now, they say it was because the Management has been "nice" to me...not what the Building Authorities and Attorneys! On top of it I'm disabled. Mother just passed and they won't even give us time to mourn...just a Rental Application...come on people, where is your humanity? Rent is paid!
You can get extra help in LA with tenant rights through these sites:

http://www.hrc-la.org/doc.asp?id=6

http://tenantstogether.org/display.php?modin=50&custom2=76&custom6=Tenant+Counseling

And when you are ready to buy, there are many programs that maybe able to help you as well.
Flag Wed Nov 13, 2013
First of all, Im so sorry for your loss.
Yes they can ask for more as the lease is changing now, even though your brother and mother had lived there for so long.
Maybe its time to consider a purchase? You have so many options available and down payment assistance programs that can help you. Connect with me for more info....I know, every agent is probebly saying that, I don't read past the my answer but Im happy to advise either way.

Good Luck
gallatingroup.net
818-261-8306
fb peterskouras
Flag Wed Nov 13, 2013
On another note: with a mid credit score of 650, you should consider purchasing your own home. Just some ideas on loans: with an FHA loan you would need just a 3.5% down payment & if you purchase a Homepath property they have a program for 3% down. If you are a veteran, you can get in for 0% down.

Depending on your brothers credit, you can even purchase together, or he can be your roommate & pay rent to you.
If you are being put on the lease, it is a new lease. I assume the new lease has you and your brother as the lessees and your mother has been removed. They definitely should have a security deposit, and being a new lease it should be whatever the appropriate security deposit would be in this market. The amount they were holding on the expired lease with your mother should be returned to your mother's estate when the new lease is signed. Even if there were no new lease, a lessor has the right to increase the security deposit over time to keep it current. Rent control laws even allow for an increase of a security deposit by the amount of the allowable annual increase.
I am sorry to hear about your loss.

The total deposit (it doesn't matter if it is a cleaning deposit, security deposit, key deposit, or a combination of deposits) charged by the landlord can not exceed 2x the amount of the monthly rent (unless the property is rented furnished then they can charge 3x or if you have a waterbed, there can be an extra amount equal to a half months rent).

You may also want to speak with your local tenant's rights group if you feel that you are being treated unfairly.

Best of luck.