Rentals in San Jose>Question Details

Terri, Renter in San Jose, CA

Can anyone tell me how to get below market rental list in San Jose area. I am looking to rent only? Thank you

Asked by Terri, San Jose, CA Fri Sep 14, 2012

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in San Jose

While it’s true there are no end of scammers out there, and, as Grace pointed out, Section 8 has long been an option for government subsidized rentals ...

THERE ACTUALLY IS A LIST for Below Market Rate Rentals. All cities are now mandated by the State to provide BMR (Below Market Rate) housing for purchase AND rent.

San Jose’s Department of housing website is here:

San Jose’s list of BMR Rentals is here:

Every city has a program such as this – if you go to Fremont, as an example, their program is a bit easier to understand:

Fremont’s Housing Website is here:

Fremont’s list of BMR rentals is here:

All the cities have stringent guidelines – you can call the Department of Housing for any city to get the website and pertinent information.
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 15, 2012
That's very helpful. Thank you very much.
Flag Sat Sep 15, 2012
Charles said it right on dot!

Be careful and remember if its too good to be true, it is not real. If you are getting anything below market, there is a catch to it. If it is not a scam, there might be other reasons for the property to be below market.

Monica Goyal
Coldwell Banker
DRE 01781926
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 14, 2012
bmr units are available and they are NOT getting something for nothing. you are an idiot to say that.
Flag Sun Apr 3, 2016
Cupertino and Sunnyvale have legiitimate BELOW MARKET RENTAL LISTINGS. Each city by law must have a BMR program, REF: State Law. Sections65580 to 65589.89

Santa Clara has an "affordable rentals" list but does not tell you which ones are BMR's.
*San Jose uses the Santa Clara County Housing search which does not distinguish the BMR'S from the Affordable's BIG DIFFERENCE.

*I called San Jose City Hall Housing Dept and they referred me to the Santa Clara County Search.
They gave me the impression that they were not aware of the BMR State Mandated Programs.

After doing some more digging on the City of San Jose website I found a section regarding this law called Housing Element, but does not provide a BMR RENTAL LISTING. Going to call to get more info.

For the record, Section Eight has not been funded since around 2005, and they have a very long waiting list, so don't waste your time with them.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 5, 2015
I myself have participated in a program like this. And no, we were not "poor" my husband got a promotion with his corporate job working in San Ramon at Bishop Ranch and I am the "traveling spouse" I did not have a job.

We found a place in Pleasanton:…

I must admit we passed by this complex and noticed we never toured it. We went and loved it. Rent of course is super pricey...we explained to them our situation and they told us about this program. We had to provide proof of income, taxes, etc. to the management company on site. Since then we were treated like a "regular" tenant. Nothing weird happened (lol). We then moved out within the year because we purchased a home in Concord. We moved out like "regular" tenants. We always check our credit report....and nothing weird has ever come up.

We were very fortunate to have learned about this program! I am not sure why people keep thinking it's a scam?? Maybe if you do business with an individual vs. a company? We wouldn't have given all of our information to an individual, so be careful of that! The BMR thing is something that is put into place by the government. Therefore, every year they do have to re-qualify you in case your status has changed. Ours was going to since I got a job...ergo the whole buying a house and moving.

Anyways this is something that you could try looking for:…

Hope this helps.
Hi Terri,

As the others have already noted, there is no such thing as a list of below market rate rentals. There are below market rate homes for sale available to government workers and people whose income and circumstances allow them to qualify for such programs, but this does not apply to transient housing, like apartments and rental units.

If you are needy and have low income that can qualify for this program, the County's housing authority provides Section 8 programs for those seeking housing. Keep in mind that even though the County can provide the program, landlords do not need to make homes available to the Section 8 Program, which is why I understand it can be hard as hard for Section 8 renters to find housing as for those without assistance programs.

Your best bet to finding housing is to be diligent, work with a reputable Realtor, and be aware of rental scams. Good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 15, 2012
Section Eight is closed, big waiting list, no funding since around 2005. Cupertino and Sunnyvale have BMR RENTAL LISTINGS.
Flag Sat Dec 5, 2015
Well actually almost every Bay Area community maintains a list of avaiable Below Market Rate units. You can find these lists by searching the term below market rate and the community you are interested in. These lists are maintained by cities and jurisdictions not scam artists and they chronicle the number of units specified by the planning and building departments who originally permitted the apartment developments. They are units that must legally be maintained as below market rate to satisfy the original intent of each development. As Home Buyer from Pasadena stated they are sometimes available.
Flag Thu Oct 2, 2014
Thank you for your response. I appreciate it.
Flag Sat Sep 15, 2012