Can a realtor install a lock box on an occupied apt when the tenant does not have a lease.?

Asked by Zombieo9609, Sun Mar 3, 2013

We are currently living month to month no lease in a multi family home. the land lord has recently signed a new contract with a real estate agency that has expressed their desire to install a lockbox outside of our apt to show potential buyers. I'm not comfortable with this and am curious to know what my rights are.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Gail Gladstone’s answer
Gail Gladsto…, Agent, 11743, NY
Sun Mar 3, 2013
The landlord has a right to sell or lease their property and cannot do so if it cannot be seen. Showings will be accompanied by a Realtor and I would expect you to be contacted about time of showing.

It is also to be expected that you will not unreasonably deny access.
1 vote
Nelsonjw, Home Buyer, Wadena, MN
Tue Nov 28, 2017
The laws may be different in your state. In Minnesota it will depend first on written rent contracts. Verbal doesn't count anywhere in the US when it comes to showings. And month to month is the only verbal contract allowed but has nothing to do with showing. State law governs month to month. In Minnesota a landlord can put a lockbox on your property. How else would you get a key safely to other agents. Anyone that needs to get in must get the specific combo from the owner of the property. And it is recorded by your state listing service. As you implied month to month renters have fewer rights than leaseholders. If you have a better way call your landlord.
0 votes
Christine Gr…, Agent, Williamsville, NY
Mon Mar 4, 2013
Whether or not you currently have a binding lease, a landlord (or his agents) should be able to gain entry upon reasonable notice. 24 hours is generally considered reasonable notice.
It sounds like you definitely need to have a conversation with your landlord.....Start there.....
0 votes
Tammy Benkwi…, Agent, Somers, NY
Mon Mar 4, 2013
Consider that you will eventually need a nice letter of recommendation from your current landlord in order to find another apartment, right?

So I would recommend that you work with the landlord to allow showings safely with a licensed real estate agent in tow. The agent will discuss the process and work with you.

Also consider keeping the unit in good clean condition and not making it difficult. Many landlords did not want to be landlords in the first place. This may be there first chance to be able to sell the house considering the economy.

Playing nice (paying the rent on time and keeping the place clean and in reasonable condition) always comes back to benefit a tenant when you need the landlord to say good things about you.

Good luck!
0 votes
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Sun Mar 3, 2013
If you want to know what your rights are, contact an attorney.

The city of Buffalo provides information:…

All the best,
0 votes
Jacques Ambr…, Agent, Forest Hills, NY
Sun Mar 3, 2013
You currently have legal posession of your premesis, therefore no one can enter without your permission (unless it's for an emergency). That having been said, since you are month to month, you may want to work out an alternative to show cooperation to your landlord, so that you can continue to live there.
0 votes
Joe Sorrenti…, , Buffalo, NY
Sun Mar 3, 2013
I recommend that first you try to discuss it with your Landlord and find out of what the key inside is for. If you do not get satisfaction you may want to contact an attorney or Legal Aid. (Neighborhood Legal Services (716) 847-0650) There are tenant rights that you are entitled to regarding people accessing your unit with reasonable notice.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more