Can a realtor help me (or be hired to) find a landlord who will accept my Section 8 voucher?

Asked by Emily Wimmer, Novato, CA Fri Jul 11, 2014

I am expecting my voucher in the next few weeks. I am a single parent of two children and YES, I work full time at a law firm. The stigma associated with Section 8 recipients coupled with the lack of housing in Novato frightens me. We will have only 60 days to find a place once I receive the voucher and would like to get a head start on looking. I would also consider moving early and paying the full rent myself in order to secure the location. My children and I have been Novato residents for 5 years and we love it here. I'd hate to have to move out of our community.

Answers

4
Lloyd Pittman, Agent, Novato, CA
Fri Aug 15, 2014
Absolutely however you will find many Realtor's do not actively engage in rentals. I would suggest you contact the local property management companies and of course diligently review Craig's List each day. Many landlords or their agents say they won't accept S8 but sometimes you have to go and present yourself and try to change their mindset. Most won't but some might. Best of luck.
Jean-Leon Ma…, Agent, Tempe, AZ
Fri Jul 11, 2014
There are typically agents that deal with rentals. Often they are new agents or part timers, but you should be able to find someone locally to help, there are plenty of great agents right here on Trulia, spend a little time running a search ! Good luck !
Web Reference:  http://sellquickAZ.com
Dorene Slavi…, Agent, Torrance, CA
Fri Jul 11, 2014
Dear Emily,
Many Realtors do not work Leases at all. When they do, it's as a courtesy to a homeowner who will eventually sell with them. It's doubtful that a Realtor will have section 8 leads or information.
There are government sources for locating low income/section 8 housing that would probably be the best way to get started. Or talk to your social worker for direction.
Emily Szopin…, Agent, Lawrence, KS
Fri Jul 11, 2014
I am not in your area of the country, but I can tell you that it couldn't hurt to ask. Many Realtors should have a list of contacts(past and current clients that have bought and sold investment property with them) and should always be willing to help! At the very least, they might be able to point you in the right direction or help you compile a list of steps to take. Some real estate companies offer property management as well.

My advice. It doesn't hurt to ask. Call them up, tell them your concern, and ask them if there is anything they can do to point you in the right direction.

Have you tried posting an add to Craigslist under the housing wanted section? It's anonymous. You can just try a posting to see if you get any responses.

Anything is worth a try!
Good Luck.