Can a management company keep my deposit if the rent is over the allowed amount for section 8 and we cannot rent it in Las Vegas, NV?

Asked by Mzlisa661, 14224 Thu Aug 19, 2010

I have section 8 and inquired about this home in Las Vegas, NV. However, this management company knew that I wanted to rent the home under section 8. I found the house on gosection8.com, but section 8 states that it is over my limit, because they miscalculated my income which lowered my maximum limit. The house is priced $234 over my limit and he won't negotiate the rent to suit section 8's required rent reasonability. I called and tried talking to the manager and he stated that he feels sorry for me, but he is not giving money back because I signed a form stating that if I pulled out of the signing of the lease that my deposit is non-refundable. However, I did not pull out he refuses to negotiate the rent so that I can lease the home within my limit. Can he keep my money even if though he listed the home for rent under section 8 and he will not negotiate. I cannot rent the home straight across, so do he just get to keep my $1245.00 ?

Answers

3
Ryan Walley, Agent, Williamsville, NY
Sat Feb 21, 2015
Answering 4 years too late but... I would ask your question in the Las Vegas forum, not Upstate WNY... And also your local housing court.
Lauren, Home Owner, West Seneca, NY
Mon Jun 18, 2012
Yes, that is always a possibility.
Edavies, Renter, Falun, KS
Tue Nov 29, 2011
Yes they could try to find ways