Rentals in Walnut Creek>Question Details

Jreubelt, Renter in Walnut Creek, CA

Can a apartment evict you to remodel? Notice states month to month option. But was verbally told we would have to relocate. Walnut Creek, CA

Asked by Jreubelt, Walnut Creek, CA Sun Aug 28, 2011

Lease is up this month. After writing I have verbal agreement to get same unit back if I store my stuff and stay with family. But I just received a letter saying if I choose not to relocate they will put us on a month to month lease with a smaller increase than the remodeled rate. I really don't want the hassle/expense of moving. Can they force us out to remodel and raise the rent? Verbally they have said I have to. But the letter I received states other wise. Not sure what to do.

Answers

4
The saying goes;
A Verbal Contract isn't worth the paper it's printed on.
Next time.....
Jreubelt - verbally means nothing. If you think it does kindly ask them to put that in writing and when they refuse you will have your answer. Your lease is up.. so what to do with the unit is up to the owner. They really have not done anything wrong here, it sounds like they've honored the lease and now have given you 2 options.. choose whichever is best for you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 28, 2011
Your choice is to fight or accept the fact your were told a rosy tale to get you to fill a unit temporarily. (Let's all have a discussion about today's business ethics, shall we...) You have options but like I said, it's now a fight...
Web Reference: http://bob2sell.com
You can't fight a raging current rushing against you. Best to flow with the current and swim to shore. In other words make life easy on yourself and use your productive resources to start looking for another place instead of fighting a losing battle. Much better for your health and peace of mind. Change is always good.